What's new
What's new

Functional Hendey T&G project lathe for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

shapeaholic

Stainless
Hello All
This T&G was originally bought as a parts machine, but once I got what I needed, it seemed a pity to scrap it.
I have repaired it to the extent that it runs and cuts metal, It needs a lot more work but nothing beyond clean adjust and replace some bushings etc.
I have bargained for some replacement covers for the headstock, and a few other bits.
I am asking $1500.00usd ( $1875 cdn) which includes the 3hp 3ph motor and VFD drive. I will sell it for $750 without the motor/drive.
Serial AHL -40075

The lathe is located near Ottawa Ontario Canada.

IMG_2466.jpgIMG_2467.jpg

And a parts machine for 1500?

750 without motor??

Ehhhh....

Fairly priced IMO. Yeah it's a project, but it's a Hendey T&G, one of the finest machines ever made. Think 10EE, not South Bend.

But yeah, a bad time to sell with the border closure.

Same lathe, but with covers, sold locally for $5500 two years ago. So I’d suggest OP’s asking price isn’t unreasonable. And commercial shippers are crossing the border without a problem. Just little guys like me cannot cross...

L7

I went to purchase that lathe in Oregon, and I passed due to headstock was fractured from PO who dropped it that is a $300 machine

Drawings from Hendeyman could rescue this machine

Although some may consider this a “parts” machine, mostly likely it can be restored to full functionally. I don’t know if it is missing the cross slide/compound and the tailstock. I know in my collection of drawings from Hendeyman, I have drawings for all to bits & pieces to make up the tailstock and the cross slide. I would have to check my drawings collection to see if I have the compound drawings. Once again I acquired all of these drawings from Hendeyman.

I've been following the "debate" with some interest...
This is a complete functional machine!
I expect the headstock covers to be here on Friday, along with some parts for the cross slide.

I replaced the headstock casting due to breakage by a previous owner. If anyone would like to see a short video of it running check out instagram "peterverbree1" there are 2 short ones there.

This machine had a couple of accessories that are hard to find. carriage auto stop, taper attachment, micrometer carriage stop, a dauber for the tailstock, and some original handles that were needed by myself and a friend.
These were removed before I really had a chance to look the machine over.

Once I did, I realized that between my friend and I we had enough parts to make it functional again.
I removed the DC drive, as it was butchered, and non-functioning ( I tried) so I fitted my spare motor and VFD that I keep around in case the MagAmp drive in mine croaks.

This machine is actually in better shape than mine was when I got it.
I turned a short test piece and it was within .0003" over about 6". Yes the bed is worn, but it is not really bad. Typical Hendey T&G front lh wing on the apron wear. People don't keep them lubed and that is where they will wear.
I'm not sure what 3000lbs of iron will get me at the scrap yard, but I'd rather someone has some fun getting it fixed up and working again.

I plan to put it on KIJIJI ( like Craigslist) and see if it goes anywhere. Here in the "Great White Machine Gulag" it's a pretty cheap toolroom lathe.

Peter

Put it on Facebook Marketplace too! KIJIJI is $#itanking as the search software sucks. You have to enter every possible name or spelling in BOTH languages SEPERATELY to find all the listings of the tool or part you are after.

Look closely, it got a replacement headstock casting.

I cannot see with the thumbnail pictures if he did some better ones, other wise I am sticking with what I saw in person, and Oh yeah the paint blends to good to be a replacement headstock

I cannot see with the thumbnail pictures if he did some better ones, other wise I am sticking with what I saw in person, and Oh yeah the paint blends to good to be a replacement headstock

Hmm.
Either you are blind and stupid or you just like calling me a liar.
Yes the headstock was broken
Yes I replaced it
The color is different
The casting is slightly larger in size and the covers don't line up really well.

I have been a member of this board for many years and have 1274 posts. Anyone who has dealt with me will attest that I am a straight forward guy, and I don't deal in junk

You on the other hand have only 34 posts, and you seem to like to argue the obvious and refuse to open your eyes to the truth.

Feeling "poor me" because you passed on a decent project doesn't give you the right to shit on me because I bought it and fixed it when you passed.
Have a nice life...

Peter

You do know that you can click on the thumbnail for the full size view. And then zoom in on that.

You do know that you can click on the thumbnail for the full size view. And then zoom in on that.

Oh I know but, the pixelated makes is crap, and i stand by what I said, when a lathe falls out the back of a truck, there is going to be a ton of damage,I got the damage information from the PO who was selling it, and that paint job is what my pictures show me, and that is not a good lathe

I’m finding the tone of a few posters here annoying. Either buy the machine or don’t. Do NOT slander a guy who’s been a valued contributor to PM over many years.

To be clear, I have bought several items from the OP over the years, and they have been exactly as described.

L7
I know one thing, I went and viewed that lathe, here in Washington and the seller told me it fell out of a tuck, by his BI, I am sure the current seller is an honest guy but I saw what I saw the same machine, serial number and all .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back