What's new
What's new

Fyrskeppsstationen Västra Banken

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
storm punched mariners in year 1900 in Gulf of Bothnia knew survival prospects lifted when sight of lightship Västra Banken
was confirmed

around a decade ago Västra Banken left frigid waters of her swedish home for Grenada

this footage documents restart of her 93 year old two chambered heart--a Bolinder hot bulb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi0EV_0YSFM

Attachments

• 3vb.JPG
    3vb.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 461
  • 1vba.jpg
    1vba.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 2vb.JPG
    2vb.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 4vb.jpg
    4vb.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 444
lovely, thanks. a bit bold to blow it over if too tight to use bar.....kill or cure! Glad to see liberal oiling before starting of engine....though normally more on motor than driver(s):D
Richard

My step father served on a light ship,the "Frying Pan" off of North Carolina for a year or 2. Miserable little ships. They have one at a museum in Portsmouth Va. It looks like it's only about 10' wide! His ship just had largish lights atop 2 masts. And missing thousands of rivets out of the hull's bottom. They sat out there in all weathers 6 weeks at a time.

It's an old story that once a fine old vessel, the 'Alexander Hamilton' say, gets into the hands of restaurant-minded owners, you can kiss it goodbye. I think something similar holds true for lightships. This one, photographed in 1900 in the Gulf of Bothnia (the northernmost arm of the Baltic, with Finland to starboard and Sweden to port),today sports potted plants, teak deck furniture, and a sun awning. It takes gall to keep the original name after removing the stack and the ID tower, and moving the location of the new, dainty light to a spot where it does not crowd the al fresco cocktail area. Needless to add, tugs are not immune. One can today, at any boatshow, treat oneself to a gentleman's tugboat, a modern pleasure vessel that is underengined and cheesy and that only a fool would take to sea.
-Marty-

Rather surprising to find this swedish title :)

Lovely to see such a vessel still doing fine and most likely have many more pleasant years ahead. Do you know the ship well?

Here´s some info from a swedish page - "lightwiki"
Fyrskepp Nr 23 Kopparstenarna - fyrwiki

Google translate should do the trick well enough

Lumberjack,thanks for the link and pointer to google translate, much better English than my Swedish, though I have friends collecting old iron in Sweden and their English puts googles to shame, probably mine to.
Richard.

Reminds me of the old Field Marshalls! Richard,I didn't spot any barring holes in the flywheel(or maybe I need new specs!). I hope it's not sea water in the cylinder jackets.

Ted, evenin', funny you should say that- just back from the optician with my new specs....time waits for no man I guess, you're quite right, no holes in rim maybe but there must be something, notches in side of wheel or something.
As for Marshall, well I was always told the fewer cartridge starts the better, that and most Gov'nors would only pay for cartridges if they had to start the b......s themselves, you know what farmers are like:D
Richard.

Ted,
Didn't you start those Field Marshalls with a shot gun shell?

The option to start with cartridge came with the Serial 1 field Marshall. It's generally thought not too good for them,and I agree,as the engine jumped into life at the tap of a hammer. They are a curious machine to say the least. I think you have to always be a bit cautious with them as I've heard stories about the handle sticking in the starting boss. I've always had a soft spot for them as I got one when I was still at school!

Hi, I am a travel writer and have been commissioned to write an article about the Vastra Banken #23 lightship for Lighthouse Digest Magazine. I saw that you posted a black and white picture of the lightship in its original configuration. I would like to have permission to use the photo for my article (I would be happy to give you credit for the photo). Do you have a higher resolution image that you can send to me? - or can you could direct me to someone who might have a higher resolution image? I'd appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide. (I live in Grenada so I can photograph the lightship in its current location.) Warm Regards, Candi Licence email - [email protected] writer's website - Candi Licence Writer Website – Tales from Grenada and Beyond

Hi, I am a travel writer and have been commissioned to write an article about the Vastra Banken #23 lightship for Lighthouse Digest Magazine. I saw that you posted a black and white picture of the lightship in its original configuration. I would like to have permission to use the photo for my article (I would be happy to give you credit for the photo). Do you have a higher resolution image that you can send to me? - or can you could direct me to someone who might have a higher resolution image? I'd appreciate any assistance or guidance you can provide. (I live in Grenada so I can photograph the lightship in its current location.) Warm Regards, Candi Licence email - [email protected] writer's website - Candi Licence Writer Website – Tales from Grenada and Beyond

greetings Kind Lady

images I may have had were lost related to prior hard drive failure
your website is appealing--nicely done

regards

Back