What's new
What's new

G. Boley 6mm Collets range

garyrice

Aluminum
I recently acquired a collection of apparently RARE 6mm G. Boley collets. These are NOT the more common 8mm collets.

I want to put them in a display box that has room for ALL of the collets of this size that were originally available. But I can't find any sort of list or catalog that shows the entire list.

I have sizes ranging from "3" to "32" but no way to know if I have a complete set.

Please help me determine if I'm missing any.

Gary

I have the following sizes with some duplicates:

Last edited:
They would have every 0.10mm, probably from 0.10 though not sure, up to 4mm almost certainly (the collets over about 3mm would likely have stepped bores). So you're missing quite a few!

Schaublin B6 collets are probably the same as G. Boley 6 mm watch lathe collets. The through sizes are .30 to 3.00 mm, which would be marked 3 to 30 on G. Boley collets. Then Schaublin makes step chucks from 3.01 to 6.00 mm. So there may be 58 sizes from .30 to 6.00 (3 to 60). There also may be half sizes from .35 to .95 mm (3.5 to 9.5), for seven more sizes. Some collet makers made .1 and .2 mm collets, so there may exist G. Boley 1 and 2 size 6 mm collets.

Here is a link to the Schaublin collet catalog so you can compare dimensions on the B6 collet with your G. Boley 6 mm collets. See page 32.

http://www.rbcbearings.com/literature/pdfs/RBC-Schaublin-Cat-PI.pdf

And here are two pages of collet dimensions from a Hardinge 1907 catalog showing the "Geneva, Boley or Triumph" 6 mm collet dimensions. You will see a few American lathes listed with collet bodies kind of close to 6 mm.

I will just comment that 6 mm lathes (and collets) were never popular in the USA, so it is rare to see them, much less find a full set of collets. Several lathe companies made 6 mm lathes and their collets may have different threads or other dimensions.

Larry

DSC00928.jpg DSC00929.jpg

Last edited:

Back