What's new
What's new

G & E 20-24 Shaper on CL near me

DanLinsch

Aluminum
gould and Eberhardt 2/24 metal shaper - tools - by owner - sale

Owner says it weighs 4000#, and was possibly built in the 1930's. My brother and I went to look it over this afternoon and take a few more photos. Overall, beyond a good cleanup, it looks to be in good shape. He says OBO in his CL ad, so make him an offer he can't refuse. He does not want it to go to a scrap yard.

He says the guy he got it from recently claims it was working and on line when taken out of service. The outer coat of paint is peeling off showing the factory orignal coat. Ground ways. Universal table. Automatic lube. He has a manual for it. Here are some more photos. Not currently connected to power, but he offered to fire it up. Needs a little TLC on the ways to remove surface rust before doing that.

I do not have any interest in this other than helping him find a new owner. He wants it out of his way.

Dan L

20180617_150831.jpg20180617_150848.jpg20180617_150856.jpg20180617_150907.jpg20180617_150912.jpg

If it were within range, I'd be on it for that price. I have been known to do impulsive things
The vise thing is annoying, not like a real shaper vise is very plentiful.......or cheap

A friend was thinking about this shaper... your words there are just about exactly what I'd tell him, although it's 800 miles for him.
There's some shaper vises on the bay for pretty cheap normally.

To go 800 miles, you have to have made the deal already, sight unseen - $500.

I bought this machine. I live 20 miles away and have been watching it on Craigslist for months. It's under cover with new oil on the ground surfaces, but it'll need some TLC before running again.

It went for less than $800.
IMG_20180819_153642_Resized.jpg

I ran a 36" universal version of this shaper that was new in the 60's and it looked almost exactly like this one. Very little difference to me. I don't think this one's that old.

JH

Thanks! It'll be a couple months at least before I can devote real time to it... The farm and property demand too much attention until Winter. I'll start a new thread at that time.

I'm still trying to determine the age of the machine. The serial number is 5066A2. I would have guessed 60's vintage before JH's comment, but maybe these machines are just build with old casting shapes that resemble the design style of a much older machine.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back