What's new
What's new

G. A. Gray Planer & Boring Mill still working

Mad Machinist

Cast Iron
1940's Planer and 1951 Boring Mill repairing a pump housing.

The boring Mill runs every week. The Planer doesn't run much but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

Attachments

• Pump Housing Planer1.jpg
    Pump Housing Planer1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Setting tool.jpg
    Setting tool.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Line Boring.jpg
    Line Boring.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 248
I’m a “ big stuff “ addict as well. Nice looking work. Do you find it difficult recruiting operators ? All the people I used to deal with could get all the CNC jockeys they wanted but guys who could set up and run heavy machine tools were as rare as hens teeth.

Regards Tyrone.

I’m a “ big stuff “ addict as well. Nice looking work. Do you find it difficult recruiting operators ? All the people I used to deal with could get all the CNC jockeys they wanted but guys who could set up and run heavy machine tools were as rare as hens teeth.

Regards Tyrone.

I don't even look for operators. I have one guy and myself that can run them. We do what we can.

When I die they no doubt will get scrapped. That is where they were headed when I got them. I went to Niagara Press after the auction to buy a line boring bar. A lot of the machines were still there, they couldn't get a bid. They wanted $1,000. I told the guy he was nuts. He said it was Chase Bank and they wouldn't write an invoice for less. Rick Rowlands was with me and asked how much for the machine, $7,500. Rick asked if it included the 10,000 lb of tooling laying around it. He said yes. The rest is history. Of course I had a small fortune in it by the time it was running.

Back