What's new
What's new

G A Gray Planer Mill... 50' bed

Bkramer12

Plastic
In our shop we have an old Gray planer mill with vertical and horizontal heads. I need some advice on how to disassemble the gear boxes on the horizontal heads, or maybe some direction for a resource on this subject. Thank you!!

Heck of a machine. Id like to see some pictures if you have em. I have no advice on machine itself. Should be some that do. Plenty on here with a lot of help and experience .

I emailed the Springfield VT scraping class as one of the students owns a company and he has a couple of Gray planers. Hopefully he will come on and help. If he misses the email...I'll track him down. He's in PA too I believe. Rich

PS: sorry getting forgetful on short term stuff...sucks getting old

I've had these heads apart more times than I can remember. 3 speed hydraulic clutch planetary transmission connected to a 3 speed manual planetary. They are pretty complicated and hard to get apart and even harder to get back together. Nothing comes apart easily there are all kinds of pitfalls in both dissasembly and reassembling. Lots of hyatt and XLS series bearings. If one thing goes wrong it can snowball into disaster. Gray made these to get away from the complexities of 1950's DC motor controls. A guy from Gray told me they used to have drums of planetary gears that didn't pass inspection. PM me if you need help. There are lots of things you can break if you don't know how they come apart.

Back