What's new
What's new

Gallmeyer& Livingston #5 tool & cutter grinder manual?

gmark1

Plastic
I am in the process of fixing up an old Gallmeyer and Livingston tool and cutter #5 universal grinder, and wonder if someone has an operators manual that covers those grinders, and would make a photocopy for me. I havent been able to locate anything on the net with these WW2 era machines. Mine is missing some parts, and am wanting see what they are, and what some of the tooling was used on it. TIA

I think the Gallmeyer and Livingston grinders in this thread ,
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...al-grinder-no-4-a-216865/?highlight=Gallmeyer
may predate yours .
The pictures no longer work but if the you may be able to see them at this link until can get them reposted on this site .
Jim Christie's Library | Photobucket
I could scan the 1960 s Model 60 & 62 brochure in a few days if yours looks similar .
If you try a forum search for “Gallmeyer” there may be something in one of the other related threads but I didn’t check .
If you like you can contact me through the forum email or private message and then I could reply with the scans.
You might also try a search on the Vintage Machinery site I haven’t looked there for anything on mine.
Regards,
Jim

while cleaning, I found a patent number,(1664024) and located the patent showing lots of pictures. My machine was patented in 1928 and originally had a motor in the base with flat belts running the spindle and table feeds. The motor, drives and some of the table feed is missing, but with those pictures, I think i can get the table feed working again. I located the model 60,62 brochure and plan to print it out. I still wish I could find an operators manual for my machine, but have lots of info now. Thanks, Greg

Greg,
I can get some more pictures of mine if they are any help.
If you post some pictures of yours so that we can see what’s missing I could maybe help fill in the details .
I haven’t looked lately for a Gallmeyer and Livingston manual but you could try looking on the Vintage Machinery site.
To get a good general idea of the operation there are several editions of the Cincinnati and Brown and Sharpe Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines that you can read on line here,
Catalog Record: A treatise on milling and milling machines | HathiTrust Digital Library
It has been a while since I looked at them but I have a paper copy of this one that should give you a good general Idea on how the grinding is done
Catalog Record: A treatise on milling and milling machines | HathiTrust Digital Library
The older volumes may have machines that more closely resemble yours.
Your table will likely go up and down instead of the grinding wheel spindle and the hand control position will be a little different and yours will likely not have a ball bearing table but the underlying principals are still basically the same .
You can compare with the Older editions and those by Brown and Sharpe.
The chapter in this book starts here,
A treatise on milling and milling machines. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library
Regards,
Jim

Back