What's new
What's new

GE repulsion induction motor - 3hp

Plumster

Plastic
Hi, wondering if theres any information out there on an old GE Repulsion Induction Motor I’m scrapping. It was in a collapsed equipment shed I’m cleaning up. Motor tag info:

No.570881 TYPE R114 3 1800 FORM G
CYCLES 60 HP 3 FULL LOAD SPEED 1720
1 PHASE AMPERES 27.4/13.7 VOLTS 110/220
PATENTED Apr 11, 1905

GENERl ELECTRIC CO
SCHENECTADY N.Y. USA

Particularly interested if Asbestos was used for insulation in motors this small. It was completely full of dirt from years of neglect. I started scrapping copper out of the windings, but am worried about asbestos in the insulation and stopped.

Thanks.

Jason

Hi, wondering if theres any information out there on an old GE Repulsion Induction Motor I’m scrapping. It was in a collapsed equipment shed I’m cleaning up. Motor tag info:

No.570881 TYPE R114 3 1800 FORM G
CYCLES 60 HP 3 FULL LOAD SPEED 1720
1 PHASE AMPERES 27.4/13.7 VOLTS 110/220
PATENTED Apr 11, 1905

GENERl ELECTRIC CO
SCHENECTADY N.Y. USA

Particularly interested if Asbestos was used for insulation in motors this small. It was completely full of dirt from years of neglect. I started scrapping copper out of the windings, but am worried about asbestos in the insulation and stopped.

Thanks.

Jason

Don't worry about it.. Nothing is going to jump out and kill you on the spot.. I am 67 years old been around that stuff most of my life and still doing ok....Still use dutch boy white lead in my shop even.. Just don't eat it... Asbestos is only dangerous if in particulate form and a small portion of it at that....Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

''It was in a collapsed equipment shed I’m cleaning up.''

You're probably in more danger from fungal spores etc etc etc and chemicals released from collapsing and rotting timber, than a spot of asbestos in any motor.

Sounds like an ambulance chaser wanting to sue.....Well the stock price of GE is in the toilet, so you won't get much.

Sounds like an ambulance chaser wanting to sue.....Well the stock price of GE is in the toilet, so you won't get much.

Asbestos can be profitable today.. I know of one couple who both got big settlements.. He worked in asbestos and she washed his clothes and got sick from that.. Everyone got tons of money including the lawyers....Ramsay 1:)

Asbestos can be profitable today.. I know of one couple who both got big settlements.. He worked in asbestos and she washed his clothes and got sick from that.. Everyone got tons of money including the lawyers....Ramsay 1:)

I think there are lots of fraudulent claims re: asbestos, etc. but there were also legitimate instances of people exposed on the job who were NOT informed of the exposure, and should be compensated fairly. Some of the settlement values have gotten out of hand though. We shouldn't be bankrupting businesses when the issues occurred before anything was known about the dangers.

I think there are lots of fraudulent claims re: asbestos, etc. but there were also legitimate instances of people exposed on the job who were NOT informed of the exposure, and should be compensated fairly. Some of the settlement values have gotten out of hand though. We shouldn't be bankrupting businesses when the issues occurred before anything was known about the dangers.

I personally know of some who were issued masks to wear and refused to wear them.. Later they said no one told them of the dangers... Of course, the lawyers were lined up from torabora to timbuktu making sure there was justice...Kinda like all the cigarette smokers who after buying pack after pack of cigarettes with warning labels on them said they were mislead....Just follow the money.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Shame to scrap off old motors like that- you'd have got much more for it to a collector. Too late for that now,maybe? Re asbestos-never come across that in old motors except in the terminal box. Mica,yes.

Back