What's new
What's new

Gear cutting on a shaper

marka12161

Stainless
I ran across this while surfing Youtube. It looks like fabricating one of these gear cutter fixtures is within reach if you have a welder, a mill and a lathe. I know there's no rational reason to make one of these but it sure looks like a fun project.

M

Shaper gear cutting - YouTube

I ran across this while surfing Youtube. It looks like fabricating one of these gear cutter fixtures is within reach if you have a welder, a mill and a lathe. I know there's no rational reason to make one of these but it sure looks like a fun project.

M

Shaper gear cutting - YouTube

I guess it saves on tool grinding?

Most folk just shape the cutter and work with an ignorant dividing head, directly.

Side note. Pakistan was once part of India. The British ran it for a long time.
Metalworkers out that way were wise enough to wear steel-toed boots.

Until the English came. Then they copied the Brits amd wore open sandals.
Go figure they got in the habit, still do it, even long after out from under British rule.

I guess it saves on tool grinding?

Most folk just shape the cutter and work with an ignorant dividing head, directly.
He re-created a Sunderland or Maag generator, I guess for cheap. It's not a form cutter, he's generating the shape, so all the various numbers of teeth will be the correct shape. Form cutting is never correct and always second-rate. His teeth will be much better than gears cut with space cutters. Plus the generating tool is really simple. It's an excellent method.

I didn't see any relieving on the back stroke though, less than wonderful ? I guess this works okay on small parts ?

If he'd figured out a way to tilt things, he could do helicals as well.

Back