What's new
What's new

Gemco 16" Hy-Duty Universal Shaper

morestainless

Cast Iron
Please don't tell me how you bought one of these for $450. I already read about it.Page not found - Practical Machinist : Practical Machinist

I received some interesting responses to my "Sell Me A Shaper" thread, but nothing that wasn't too big, too old, or what I didn't want. So, I put a purchase request in at HGR for their 16" Gemco Hy-Duty Universal machine. It's complete except for the plastic/aluminum cross/vertical feed hand wheel. Shouldn't be too difficult to replace. They sent me a bunch of extra picts of the guts. Looks OK. I'm gambling on the Lubrigard having done it's job I guess. I got a good deal on motor freight shipping (2300 miles) so I'll get it here (incl. purchase price) for < $2K. Not bad for a big machine tool that is of no practical use any longer. Ha, ha. A big granddaddy clock. I have the Gemco brochure. Love the grey iron coffee grounds chips that these make.

Attachments

• gemco 16.jpg
    gemco 16.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 581
If you can't get the clutch lever to engage it is because LUBRIGARD is working It locks out engaging clutch until there is oil pressure

If you don't mind my asking, what did shipping cost? I was interested in an east coast shaper last month, but shipping quotes to Tx were outrageous at $2500- $3000.

I use one of the PriceLine websites of motor freight. Rates coming out of Ohio seemed to be much better than anywhere else.

16" is a nice size for a smallish shop, lots of power though compared to the small hobby sized shapers. My brother and I recently looked at a 24" shaper we could get for $500 but it's huge.

16" is a nice size for a smallish shop, lots of power though compared to the small hobby sized shapers. My brother and I recently looked at a 24" shaper we could get for $500 but it's huge.

I actually wanted a Hendey 12", but couldn't find one for less than $3K + $1K shipping. One of the machine shops here in Spokane has one in it's front yard, with a flag pole coming out of it. There's a lathe and some other machines too. Nice display. I was surprised how hefty the 12" shaper was. 3000lbs or so.

HGR says the 16" weighs 5695lbs. The brochure says 5100lbs. Must be the oil, dirt, and scrap metal pieces lying under it on the base. I'm gonna have to take it apart to get it inside through the 30" back door, so it will get cleaned up. I'll wait a while to take the needle scaler to it. Ha, ha. My 16" lathe weighs that much and it went inside just fine.

16 inch is a great size overall. Pretty heavy for a 16 too.
The biggest problem with them, IMHO you run out of table, at least for what I do.

"The biggest problem with them, IMHO you run out of table, at least for what I do."

That 24" my brother and I saw for $500 had a 2", maybe 2 1/4" thick slab of cast iron bolted to the off side table, the main table surface is universal so if he needs that he just swings it up. This slab sticks out another 10" I guess, there's a photo of it here in PM from recently.

I have one of these shapers. Do you have any information about it besides the sales brochure you can find online? Part of the weight discrepancy might be the vise or other accessories it hopefully comes with. I haven't actually weighed my vise, but would guess it weighs well over 150 pounds.
30d6c6b67db3fca0c61484f6925daf10.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I have one of these shapers. Do you have any information about it besides the sales brochure you can find online? Part of the weight discrepancy might be the vise or other accessories it hopefully comes with. I haven't actually weighed my vise, but would guess it weighs well over 150 pounds.
30d6c6b67db3fca0c61484f6925daf10.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hi Neighbor,

I was down your way (Arco) a couple of years ago to pick up a Bostomatic 300 mill. Next time I'll stop by.

I have no other info on the Gemco shapers, but, there is quite a bit on info in the brochure. A mechanical shaper is pretty much a mechanical shaper and a machine is a machine. Look at it long enough an it will tell you all about itself. I have to dismantle mine to get it inside, so I'll get to know it pretty well.

How is yours working for you? 20"?

Back