What's new
What's new

George H Fox lathe on ebay

chauky50

Plastic
Here is an oldie that needs saving. eBay item number:
323432687077. Does anyone know if this lathe continued to be made in this form after Fox became American Tool & Machine?

s-l1600.jpg

Is that a crack or just cracked paint?

Seems expensive to me. Doesn't even seem to be functional.

Nice looking castings although light. No carriage present? I'm not seeing the possible crack that Quade references. Preservation as a wood lathe would seem to make sense although I agree the price is out of line.

Tom B.

Nice looking castings although light. No carriage present? I'm not seeing the possible crack that Quade references. Preservation as a wood lathe would seem to make sense although I agree the price is out of line.

Tom B.

Right straight down from the middle of the head stock. To the right of the 2 holes.

It certainly looks cracked. But that wouldn't stop me from wanting it and buying it, if the price was a good bit less. Here is a photograph of another one of these, whih I saw about eight or ten years ago:

American Tool & Machine.1.jpg

Tom B.
The carriage is slid all the way up to the headstock. The crack could.be just a surface casting flaw. Even if cracked it's not going anywhere. It is a little high but well preserved.

I would say it is a crack. It also looks like another one to the right.
That might be why the head stock leg has been moved.
It should be at the end of the bed like the tail stock leg.
I asked the seller if it was a crack. He said he will check.

Some ads showing a timeline of the company.
1856, 1858, 1862 & 1866.

Rob

Attachments

• fox_LI.jpg
    fox_LI.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Fox 1856.jpg
    Fox 1856.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 168
  • Fox 1858.jpg
    Fox 1858.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Fox 1862.jpg
    Fox 1862.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 122
  • Fox 1866.jpg
    Fox 1866.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 131
It certainly looks cracked. But that wouldn't stop me from wanting it and buying it, if the price was a good bit less. Here is a photograph of another one of these, whih I saw about eight or ten years ago:

View attachment 242282

Remember yet another Fox lathe you saw about eight years ago?

27905d1289477410-older-than-regular-old-lathe-boston-cl-fox_lathe_b.jpg

I snagged it off the Boston CL and gave it to a friend up your way. It had the countershaft with it too.

Irby

They are neat old style, aren't they. I forgot how nice until I looked up the picture. Hey, you may be able to talk Peter out of the one I showed. :)

Irby

They are neat old style, aren't they. I forgot how nice until I looked up the picture. Hey, you may be able to talk Peter out of the one I showed. :)

Irby
They look a lot better with the legs in the right position. That leg does appeared to be moved to support the crack.

Heard back from the seller with a closer picture.
It is an added on bed extension.
It looks like someone at some point in time added a section to the bed to make it longer for more distance between centers.
Whether this was done at the factory or later is hard to say, but I think it was later.
I have seen this done before.
So it could be removed and restored back.

Rob

Attachments

• Fox lathe 30.jpg
    Fox lathe 30.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 125
This one does have an interesting head stock with that rear bearing housing.

I have an early head stock from a Fox lathe.
It had, at one time, the back gears.
An interesting feature of my head stock is that the two bearing housing columns are fluted.

Rob

Attachments

• Fox lathe 28.jpg
    Fox lathe 28.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Fox 1858 (2).jpg
    Fox 1858 (2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 117
Thank-you for the information you posted. It is exactly what I was looking for. I acquired a old pantograph lathe that has the distinctive (unknown to me before I saw the ebay listing) Fox legs so I think it was probably made by The American Tool and Machine Co.

Thank-you for the information you posted. It is exactly what I was looking for. I acquired a old pantograph lathe that has the distinctive (unknown to me before I saw the ebay listing) Fox legs so I think it was probably made by The American Tool and Machine Co.

Sorry. Reading your first sentence made me think you had bought the lathe.

No matter. More information increases the chance of survival for those that remain, of which yours is now certainly among.

Joe in NH

Back