What's new
What's new

Getting a Moore B18 / #3 jig borer through low-clearance door

Straightedge

Hot Rolled
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1980s-vintage Moore B18 (#3) jig borer. The shop I'd prefer to put it in has a low-clearance overhead door--just 83". In the past, I've had to do some disassembly to slide machines under that door. I've searched all over to find out what's under the belt and sheave cover on the top of these jig borers and can't find an image anywhere.

Does anyone here have a picture of what's under the cover? I can't tell how high the casting extends. I suspect that it would be possible to remove the belts, pulleys, and the speed-change mechanism and have the clearance we need, but if there's some non-removable protrusion of the main column casting that extends that high, it might be better to put it in the other shop.

I'd appreciate hearing what any of you know about this.

Bought my No 3 about 30 months ago and realised it was a bit high to fit in my door. Removing the alluminium belt cover reveals the motor, pulleys and speed adjustment mechanism. All of this can be dismantled in a couple of hours, though heavy. Biggest pain was disconnecting the wiring as the glands were on for good. With it all off, the highest point is the lug with the eyehole. My doorway is 2100mm and it went in on rollers with an inch to spare. Then you put it all back together again. Hope this helps.

As macchi7 said to gain any more clearance you will have to disassemble the upper head to gain any clearance.

I think it would be easier to just install a 8' door in your shop.... If possible...

John Oder has a sick pic of him cutting out the middle of his garage header and skating in his moods jig bore inside. I believe his is a number 4, though.

His is a 3B Pratt and Whitney. The 4E at about 17 tons is the HUGE one.

Got any pictures of your Moore Straightedge?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info from you gents about what's under the hood. I didn't get a single response to my question for a couple months--and then all this! I wasn't keeping tabs on this thread, hence my slow response...

This machine got sold out from under me a few months ago. It was a disappointment since it was the newest Moore jig borer I had ever heard of. I called Moore and found out it was the B1909, the 7th to last one ever made, originally installed in 1990. (B1915 was the last one made. I'd buy that one too if anybody knows where it is.) The price wasn't the problem, I just had too many things on my plate and was waiting for things to cool off. I was in no hurry because jig borers almost can't be given away these days. Big mistake...or so I thought.

In early December, my auto search caught a craigslist ad for a very similar machine in the same area. I checked on it, and it's the same machine. It had been purchased by a gent who likes nice machinery but had no use for it. We struck a deal pretty quickly and right now I'm just waiting for the broker to find the right truck. The pics I have are the ones the gent provided me in his shop. Look forward to having this arrive in the next few weeks.

00c0c_as5laCnAjTy_600x450.jpg

01313_lbqtLIem1TP_600x450.jpg

01515_avH6Y4RebJM_600x450.jpg

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this SWEET Moore Jig Grinder (Lot # 111); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Moore.jpg
MOORE JIG GRINDER MODEL NO. 3 SERIAL G1197 You must use our Rigger - Rigging Fee $300.00

Hi guys, I have committed to get #3 borer and going to attempt to fit it under 7ft door. This thread encouraged me to try this:). I understood that I need to disassemble top of the machine where speed adjustment mechanism is. Do I need some special tools to do it? I have some time to prep before I get a trailer and go pick it up. Thanks.

I have the owners manual for my #3 Moore Jig Borer, I guess I can make photos of what's under the cover as shown in the manual. Not sure what year my machine was made but it looks exactly like the one in the posted photos.

Before we moved this machine to a new shop, I did this twice: once on the way in, and again on the way out. Take off the top shroud, disconnect the 4 bolts holding the variable-speed drive/motor assembly to the column and disconnect the handful of wires. At that point, you can lift that assembly off and slide the rest of the machine under your 7-ft door. Reassembly is easy if you have enough overhead clearance and a crane or hoist.

Thanks everyone for your quick answers.
Machine I am getting is from 1963, probably one from first #3. It has hardened and ground X/Y rails. It is missing one of the table travel handles but rest of it looks like new), not including paint).
I am planning to rent one of sunbelt hydraulic lift trailers. Machine can be loaded with narrow pallet so maybe I can use 5000lb pallet jack to slide it in. This is the plan so far. Will try to do some more pictures of sliding it in, to make this thread complete.
Here is ebay listing, it is ended but if you scroll down you can see the photos.
Moore Special Tools No. 3 Jig Boring Machine | eBay

if you have more info please post it here.

PS. I have found some under the hood pictures on this forum. ot----secrets of Moore jig borer B-18

Do I need to remove this whole assembly on the back including the motor? or just very top and the center part?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing you start a new thread, showing and detailing the machine a bit moore (HA, a pun).

Before the pics get lost in time. . .

139.jpg 140.jpg 141.jpg 142.jpg 143.jpg

I'm not trying to steal someone else's thread. I do have 2 # 3 Moores as shown in the photo. Both have the shroud around the dial as in the photo. In addition there is the same black plate attached to the shroud. I have a #2 but it does not have the shroud. What is the function of the shroud and more so what is the purpose of the black plate attached? I do have the owners manual but it does not say anything about it

Back