What's new
What's new

Giant Micrometer

IMHO this, at that price, belongs in the craiglist funnies thread...

it doesn't look to big in size either, so is a "Giant" brand name or something? milk jug, a banana or lighter is missing for size reference...

I did just message the guy and he said it is 37” inches long and made of all metal… I too wasn’t sure of the size… it’s hard to tell laying on the plywood with nothing to compare it to… the fella said he would call me here in a bit so maybe I will learn more about it.

IMHO this, at that price, belongs in the craiglist funnies thread...

it doesn't look to big in size either, so is a "Giant" brand name or something? milk jug, a banana or lighter is missing for size reference...

It says it's 37" long...

my bad, didn't notice the text below, I looked at the wood texture as possible reference and it didn't look that big

looking at the scale it shows about 0.500 judging by that it doesn't look to be 37" long, but it says it was made by someone so the scale could be off.

looking at the scale it shows about 0.500 judging by that it doesn't look to be 37" long, but it says it was made by someone so the scale could be off.
I agree... I don't think the opening is 37" or anywhere close.... maybe the entire device length is.... maybe it's scale is so big for those with poor eyesight [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Definitely a display piece somewhat along the lines of the huge cutaway weapons the military used for training.

When I first read "giant micrometer" I was thinking along the lines of those large-capacity mikes used for tasks like measuring engine deck height.

at city collage in the machine shop there was a big [20" or so] made of tubing and aluminum maybe some wood of a 1" mike that was on display in the classroom that the instructor used to show how a mike works never did pay much attention to it as far as was it something that was made there or was it commercially made for the trade and as far as weigh about 10 lbs

When I was in school in the 1950's, I saw a huge slide rule in a classroom. It was a teaching aid, commercially made for the purpose. I used a Pickett 10 inch slide rule, bought in 1958.

Here is a link to a website showing some of those large slide rules.

https://www.sliderulemuseum.com/DemoSR.htm

I suppose a large micrometer could have been made for a similar purpose.

Larry

I would buy that for shop decor. That's neat.

I have real mics to 30 or so inches so I think my real largest ones are bigger than that. I like how "cartoonish" it looks.

I don't think the price is out of line at all. Plenty of people that like weird stuff, myself included.

That was my thinking… a neat piece to stick on the wall or hang with some small heavy wire or cables from the ceiling.
I would buy that for shop decor. That's neat.

I have real mics to 30 or so inches so I think my real largest ones are bigger than that. I like how "cartoonish" it looks.

I don't think the price is out of line at all. Plenty of people that like weird stuff, myself included.

Back