Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Reeland View Post
    Thanks Chris,
    That's exactly what I was imagining, what I remembered using on the two slightly lager G&L HBM's I ran at a past job.
    Would you mind tracing the profiles and scanning the paper, and note a length to ensure it can be printed to scale? I bet a pretty nice one can be bent from some aluminum plate.

Anything you've learned about your machine that I ought to know, what have you done to yours in the process of getting it running? What oils are you using where? What do you know about the lube pump in the head, how do you get to it for cleaning/testing? I'm planning to replace the metering units on mine, I'm sure some or all of them are clogged by now.

Grigg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Grigg
    Looking below the oil sight on the headstock you can see a lower area in the headstock . That is the sump for the head . Drain plug is in the middle of low spot . If you look behind the headstock next to the columm there is a plate you can remove to see the oil pump . Its just a plunger pump running off an exccentric on the bar carriar . I drained and flushed mine with kerosene .My pump was sticky did not always follow the cam every cycle . So be sure to check that .

I cant help with the oriffices in the lube lines from the pump . Some body had replumed mine with plastic tubes and removed all but one orffice . I manifolded 6 site feed oilers to assure everthing gets oil. I will try to get you some pictures . Thank you for keeping this thread going . Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Grigg,

Been busy. I will get that to you when I get the chance. This some what old printing press in the picture keeps me real busy sometimes. It driven by two 125HP 3PH AC motors. Darn real job gets in the way sometimes. Not all bad though.Sometimes!

I have run my G&L under power before I bought it and tested everything. Seems to be no problems.
    I am going to clean up the electrical though. It is a mess and not correct even though it runs.
    I am going to change some of the oiling also.
    I will go into detail later.
    Currently there is mystery oil in mine.
    Here is a chart to cross reference oils.
    Yeah, I am not going to run SAE motor oil in mine,
    I have not picked my oils yet though.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by poorwelder View Post
    ...A nice close up of the bracket for the table vernier would be very helpful. Thanks
    How about this?

4 total detailed pictures of it in the album now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris,
    Thanks for the oil info, that'll be real handy for my other old machines too. I remember going through some trouble with the local oil distributor trying to convert the old specifications from my 1952 B&S mill operators manual to something useful.

Grigg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grigg, it looks like the vernier head bracket has been broken off at some point in the past and re-welded. Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grigg thanks for the pictures of the vernier bracket . Now I just have to make one and the little adjustable holder for the vernier scale its self . Are your verniers legible ? The one I have left for a pattern has seen better days . I have purchased a new scale am working on all the bits and pieces to coble one up will post some pics when done .

I am running 90wt gear oil in the headstock which looking at Chris's chart may be a little thick . I use ISO 68 way oil in the saddle . The gear box in the base has been topped up with 90 wt gear oil but I need to drain and flush it out when I get roundtuit .

Thanks Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Grigg,

Here is the tracing and some pictures.
    I also have a link to a PDF of the tracing.
    When printing from Adobe Reader on standard 8.5"x11" paper,
    under "Size Options:" pick "Actual Size".
    Should be right on size.

Link to PDF:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...MsUVtxucBi25Y8
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pictures:

Next up soon will be some pictures of the oil lines on my headstock and what I'm thinking of to change.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Chris, Just what I was looking for!
    What do you make of the two piece sort of hub, the literature says something about a "safety hand crank". Is it just a pair of shear pins and the spring so it can't be left engaged, like a chuck key with a spring? Might not be necessary to duplicate that detail but I'm curious how it works. The ones I remember I think had that modified, pinned solid.

Do you want pictures of my headstock oiling system? I plan to take it apart and order new metering units and make some new lines, I can then make up a detailed parts list and diagram if that helps.

Grigg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Grigg,

I have been very busy with work and last month I had to deal with 2 1/2 feet total of water in my basement from VERY heavy rain one night (I woke up at 2AM) and the power going out (about 3AM for 2 1/2 hours).
    No sump pump!
    I don't want to go into total detail, but I put A LOT of tooling down there temporarily because I had to rearrange ALL my machines in the shop to make room for the G&L. (I still don't have everything where I want them.)
    I got somewhat lucky in the end, I didn't lose too much.
    But now, every room in the house except the bathroom has stuff and tooling everywhere!
    Big Mess!
    When I get the chance, I will get back on topic where we left off on this thread.

Anyway I found this:

Link for Full Size:
    https://ggbtaq.bay.livefilestore.com...ize.jpg?psid=1
    You may have to click on the image to make it full size.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear about your water troubles, that's no fun at all.
    I too have been busy with other things, haven't had time to do anything to the new machine after rolling it in, still sitting on a couple 4x4's.
    This will probably be a year or two long project getting it all cleaned up and in fine shape, that's after I find the time to even start.

Thanks for the scan, is there another page with the plain 25-T?

Grigg

12. Likes Palanquin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just caught this thread, I have the 25T as well, outboard support with a half dozen bars of various sizes.. I think the largest is 1 3/4 diameter and the smallest is probably 7/8.
    I was thinking about selling it recently for lack of work and now some work has broken loose for me, I even put a 3 axis newall readout on it.

My serial number is 525, bought from a trade school and the instructor who worked their for 25 years told me he never even turned it on.

It works flawlessly and other than the spindle coming disengaged when I run it out or in to far... I love it.

Good luck with yours!

MM

14. Likes Palanquin, Grigg, Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all, First post here and a new 25T owner also. Don't even have it in my possession yet. Don't mean to hack the thread but thanks for all the useful info posted. Probably have questions later.

16. Likes Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What year or thereabouts did they stop making the 25 series borer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have cleaned up those instruction pages linked to above and have them here in a pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46279918/GL25rt.pdf

19. Likes Grigg, Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can add another G&L 25RT owner to the group.. 1942 model, no doubt a lend lease machine..

This one is now mine apparently, quite dirty and this one has an extended vertical travel plus has the facing head as well...

It is as big a borer as what I want... I know it is said, you cannot get too big a borer, but big machines require big foundations and take up big room...

Just have to get it home...

dsc03056.jpg

dsc03072.jpg

21. Likes Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That should clean up nicely. The facing slide looks like the bolt on type. A lot better than no facing slide though. Were there any line boring bars with it ? Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for cleaning up the instruction sheet and sharing pictures.

Guess it's been 13 months now after moving mine home, how time flies.
    Unfortunately I haven't made time to do anything to mine other than pile a few empty boxes on it... I'd really like to spend a few weeks scrubbing, oil change, some disassembly, fixing little things, paint, and so on to get it ready for work. One day it'll happen.

Grigg

24. Likes Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I guess the facing slide is bolt on.... It has levers on the front for controlling it, unlike the British and Euro borers that I guess had controls for the facing head, on the headstock casting.. From what I understand the facing head and the traveling spindle are joined together and spin the same speed, thus the reason why speeds are fairly slow, but according to the instruction sheet, the spindle does run in two opposed tapered bearings at the front and a ball at the rear.. Was nice to learn the headstock is still full of oil as well, by the sight glass...

It has two line boring bars that come with it... I doubt it has a morse taper locking key with it though..

Some more pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc03062.jpg   dsc03069.jpg   dsc03070.jpg   dsc03081.jpg  

26. Likes Chris Reeland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not a bad facing slide RC, quite big for the size of spindle. It'll be ok for snout bar boring type work. The facing feed rate will be fixed but as I say it's a lot better than no facing slide. A pal of mine worked a " Kearns" machine with a similar facing head, he worked miracles with it. He used to groove circlip grooves by the simple expedient of putting pressure on the facing slide by hand and giving the spindle a quick spin, he'd then put a bit more of a cut on and give the spindle another spin. He did this until the groove was deep enough. I can't see how you wind the slide in and out by hand on that head, maybe the socket is on the back side on your photograph.

I remember replacing the head for him one day. I'd slung the head with a soft sling off the pendant operated overhead crane. After I'd bolted the head on I reached around to grab the crane pendant to lower off the sling. Instead I inadvertently grabbed the machine pendant and switched on the spindle and facing slide ! Luckily for me the sling was just slack enough to let the facing slide spin around inside the sling !

Regards Tyrone.

PS, I see the machine isn't bolted down.

28. Likes Chris Reeland liked this post