What's new
What's new

Gilbert, Harris & Co. micrometer that does everything?

rivett608

Diamond
Well sort of....... anyway for a mere $ 5.00 in 1910 you could have bought this micrometer set that can be switched around to do all sorts of things. It is pretty small and lightweight, the outside frame is only 4"...... This was patented on Aug. 9 1910 by Herman Sauter and assigned to the Gilbert, Harris & Co. of Chicago. One thing about this is there are no graduations on it, just lines... so you would have to set it with a standard or other tool and then measure so many thousands (lines) from that point. This example was found years ago and is the only complete one I know of..... it even has a fold out set of instructions and graphics in the lid.......... anyone see one or know anything more? Thanks

DSCN0003.jpg

gilbertharrismic.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

transfer tool

Never seen that one ! Seems to me to be a typical transfer tool. Inside, out side ,whatever have you side . Reminds me of the telescoping gauge.or ball micrometer for measuring tubing wall.or ID-OD Still need micrometer set to check over all.

Thanks for posting all the pics of these great old tools. A person could spend a lifetime of looking for this type of thing and not see half of what you have posted here.

Mel :typing:

Never seen that one ! Seems to me to be a typical transfer tool. Inside, out side ,whatever have you side . Reminds me of the telescoping gauge.or ball micrometer for measuring tubing wall.or ID-OD Still need micrometer set to check over all.

um...if you've never seen one, what would make it 'typical'? I've personally never seen one even close to it as far as versatility....

prototypical

um...if you've never seen one, what would make it 'typical'? I've personally never seen one even close to it as far as versatility....
There were many different types of transfer tools starting with dividers,calipers, scales what have you. it`s a nice piece at a time when labor was cheap and material was expensive.So maybe it`s the swiss knife of the 1900`s but one would still need a pitch thread with thimble & grads to measure it .it could be set as such with many fine knurled screws that we cant find in the off shelf market today but it `s still a transfer tool .My friend! I`ve lined up front end suspensions with a curtain rods ,tow in tow out.It`s all about the feel

Mc

DaveRobinson,

I'm calling the cops! You didn't win that, you stole it!! ;)

$5.00 and you were the only bidder..........How on earth did Rivett, myself and Honrick miss it. And, Rivett has ghostly help too!

If you can't pay for it, I'll take it.

:cheers:

Bump..... has anyone seen one of these in the past few years?

It seems amazing how rare some of these antique tools are, clearly the companies that made them spent a lot of time and expense to create them and there must of made a bunch. Yet so few survive?

That thing is pretty cool. Looking at the patent, and thinking of the time, it would be perfect for a shaft fitter. You wouldn't care about the absolute measurement in that case. You'd use the "micrometer" looking piece to measure the shaft, and then set the "beam compass" piece inside of it to measure the bearing as you scraped it in before it was close enough for bluing. Slip a piece of cigarette paper in between the anvils when setting the inside piece if you wanted to make sure you didn't go oversize on the bearing.

So I just found one of these and this is really the only website I’ve come across where people were talking about it. I found one thats in the box with the manual. Seems complete. Any idea on how much this is worth?

It would seem that the going rate is $5.00 judging by the examples here. Adjusted for inflation you might be looking at $7.50 or maybe even $10.00 if you get lucky. :D

Who knows? depends if you reach at least 2 of the folks out there that have a deep desire to own one and willing to spend money to feed their desires. Rare micrometers seem to be doing pretty go, the other day a double spindle B & S brought $ 623.

Back