What's new
What's new

GL Cady Lathe F/S

ClappedOutBport

Cast Iron
Not mine, no relation to seller.

I'm stumped as to why this hasn't sold. I can't see anything the seller did wrong, though some may disagree with his paint choice. Seems like a nice starter lathe at that price.

attachment.php

Lathe - Miscellaneous Tools - South Bend, Indiana | Facebook Marketplace

I would guess that the compound and maybe cross slide are from a SB 9" wide-bed lathe.

Very likely. This a "rise & fall" lathe either captive rising screw or weight (can't tell) Probably originated in the era of carbon steel tools (each lathe user expert in "adjusting" the tool for circumstance and doing his own grinding) where the tool would be adjusted "on the fly."

The use of a compound rest is more to the prepared tool steel and holder era, after about 1907 or so with the invention of high speed steel.

A common adaptation. Many modern users eschew a lathe without a compound as somehow "old fashioned." Which may or may not be true. Many larger lathes in the rise & fall era would have an "auxiliary slide" for use up close to the faceplate - rise & fall does cut into one's effective swing by a considerable amount.

Of course many modern users also see a lathe without markings on the cross slide dial and wonder "how did they use this."

Also the era of prototype machines and "sizing by feel (Calipers.)"

A GL Cady lathes exists at the Vintage Machinery Site Photo Index - Geo. L. Cady - 10" x 20" wood/metal lathe | VintageMachinery.org This one a wood lathe built in the "patternmaker's tradition" with a separate attached compound slide - which does not resemble this one at all.

Joe in NH

I would guess that the compound and maybe cross slide are from a SB 9" wide-bed lathe.

This! and the part of the ad which says "Would look great in any display." implying that it is not actually intended for use. Not many people need an antique lathe for "display".

JMHO

-Ron

Back