What's new
What's new

Gleason spur gear planers

kevin johnson

Cast Iron
I started a thread back in 2009 on my Gleason bevel gear planer.
These are a relatively uncommon / rare machine. Mine was originally belt drive and predates 1924 according to Mr John Oder.

I mentioned the spur gear planers that were made by Gleason as shown in a catalog from 1908 on gear planers in another thread. I am curious if anyone has seen or knows of one of these still in existence. My catalog shows machines that will cut bevel gears, machines for both bevel and spur gears, and finally spur gears only. If you have run one to cut a spur gear, I would love to hear that as well.

I myself, have ever seen 2 of the bevel planers. Mine is a 24”. The second one was larger, at least a 48”. It was at an auction in Shreveport Louisiana a number of years ago. It was missing most of the forming templates. I was told that there was another in my area years ago. Whoever owned it would borrow templates from the Company I purchased mine from.
BE361D27-5FF5-43A8-966F-A44807D313C1.jpg[SUP][/SUP]D720AD36-DF60-491E-8D7E-E886FD007AED.jpgB12C5280-60E5-4B26-8B4D-ED07802EF925.jpg552CDD89-C3CD-49DF-9D6C-21DC44B9DB34.jpg97D7E4A2-B8C6-4F54-A941-BD275C0A3BF7.jpg

Kevin ,
Thanks for posting about your machine.
I have never seen one before other than perhaps in books.
Since I was unable to enlarge the pictures on my computer I took a look to see if Kevin's book was on line .
I had no luck so far but found this one.
Catalog Record: Fourscore years of bevel gearing; the story... | HathiTrust Digital Library
I had posted this link earlier in another thread about the earlier Bilgram Bevel Gear Shaper
International Library of Technology : International Textbook Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
I had found this link earlier as well
Bevel gear tables;
a collection of tables and necessary explanation to enable anyone to figure bevel gears without the use of trigonometry.
By D. Ag Engstrom.
Catalog Record: Bevel gear tables; a collection of tables and... | HathiTrust Digital Library
Jim

Jim,

PM me an email address and I would be more than happy to send you pics of what I posted or the entire book. It is not a overly large catalog.
It is an Fleabay prize that I have learned from and enjoyed.

These planers are much slower in material removal than some later machines. They are more versatile as the cutters are not specific to a pitch. I am very curious if one that will cut spur gears survived.

That is an interesting video on the Sunderland. I had never heard of it. I am assuming the gear blank is turning in relation to the cutter to generate tooth form. The cutter being rack form.

Unfortunately, there’s not enough information in the Gleason catalog for me to understand the full cutting operation. An operation manual would be enlightening. I sure could not run my planer without a manual.

The reason I ended up with the Gleason I own is that you don’t buy formed cutters that are pitch and pressure angle specific. I needed to cut replacement gears that were originally cast. They calculated to be 1.436” CP and 2.1875 DP.

I know a hoarder who has a whole Gleason spiral bevel production line .....pinion cutter ,ring gear cutter ,shavers ,grinders,and the special ring gear heat treatment furnaces..........it belonged to a Oz company called Coote and Jorgenson ltd.....who in WW2 made all kinds of gears spares for the US military.........I have new C&J gears for KB7 Inter,Ford Blltz ( Chev gears the same),K5 IHC,and the Timkens in the 6x6 Studebaker and GMCs.........two different varieties ....five tooth pinion and six tooth pinion.......but both sets interchangeable in the same split axle housing ......ratios are close enough 6.16 and 6.20

About 40 yrs ago I was with a guy who helped set up a bevel gear planer in Kansas City, MO. No idea of the brand but it was old. I think the company that had it was Machinery Spare Parts.

There used to be a company in Dallas, Texas that had a Gleason bevel gear shaper. One of my visits to their shop I watched them making a bevel gear on that shaper. Had two separate cutters that stroked in/out shaping the sides of the tooth, starting at the edge of the blank and going down to the depth of the gear tooth. It was cool watching it cut. Company is long gone. Have no clue where the gear cutting equipment went.

Back