What's new
What's new

goodell pratt ? tailstock

jimg101455

Plastic
IMG_2397.jpgIMG_2398.jpgIMG_2399.jpg pictures after cleaning.no markings at all.i suspect one off made by skilled toolmaker.i am not familiar with watchmaking but can see the need for a hinged tailstock to free up space in such a small work envelope and still maintain position.i have never seen a hinged tailstock-thought you might like it.it also has a very nice knurled knob on the retaining pin-scribe to locate the upper to lower.jim

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 67
I don’t think it is Goodall Pratt or any other commercial co. I love the idea. Since I do tiny parts I can see the advantages of it. I so often have to move my tailstock to do things to the work.

Interested in selling or trading it? What is the height from base to center?

I don’t think it is Goodall Pratt or any other commercial co. I love the idea. Since I do tiny parts I can see the advantages of it. I so often have to move my tailstock to do things to the work.

Interested in selling or trading it? What is the height from base to center?
it was on the goodell pratt that i posted yesterday.i am going to sell the lathe with the original toolrest and tailstock after i clean it all up.this tailstock and matching toolrest are extras but made for this lathe.not sure if it is custom or might be from another manufacturer.either way all is to be sold after it is determined weather or not it fits levin or others.i will let you know.a few of the quills have expandable collett type endmill type cutters on the tips.is that common on watchmaker tooling.

I think this is an example of lipstick on a pig.

As for "a few of the quills have expandable collett type endmill type cutters on the tips.is that common on watchmaker tooling," they look a lot like drill chucks to me.

Larry

Cool!
What is the width of the base and center height? My guess is that it was made to fit an american pattern watchmaker's lathe. Looks like watchmaking tools to me. I see some adapted pin vices, 2 rose/countersink cutters( maybe) and what i would guess are 2 oil sink burnishers.

width of the base is 1.5 inch.center height is 2.5.i am not familiar with the watchmaking trade but spent my life as mechanic-machinist-.machine tool scraper on toolroom quality machines and appreciate the level of accuracy involved in this trade.not for me but i do find it interesting.any watchmaking sites to recommend .thanks for your input.a few more pics.jimIMG_2402.jpgIMG_2403.jpgIMG_2404.jpgIMG_2405.jpg

Interesting. What i thought were pin vices are also cutters. They look as if they were made to only cut to a certain depth, so maybe cutters for watch jewel settings? What you have doesn't look anything like a ww pattern jeweling tailstock, but who knows?

width of the base is 1.5 inch.center height is 2.5.i am not familiar with the watchmaking trade but spent my life as mechanic-machinist-.machine tool scraper on toolroom quality machines and appreciate the level of accuracy involved in this trade.not for me but i do find it interesting.any watchmaking sites to recommend .thanks for your input.a few more pics.jimView attachment 287803View attachment 287804View attachment 287805View attachment 287806
Those might be adjustable hollow mills.

Larry

Those might be adjustable hollow mills.

Larry
a drill could be secured in the collet and the cutter provide a countersink for a shoulder or thrust.i have never seen tooling like it but have watched many videos from high end makers and am amazed at the skill involved.i am thinking custom made on this.

My first thought was hollow mills like Larry said. Makes one wonder what else the guy that made them had on his bench. Hinged tailstock, adjustable hollow mills or pin vise with spotting? He sure thought out of box.

thats what i was thinking.the collet -cutters are adjustable to accept various sizes and are in different capacties.pretty interesting.one quill has a zerk fitting on the rear to inject oil to the center of the cutter.pretty clever.i would imagine if you set the depth of the drill for blind holes the cutter would leave a nice level pocket to accept the mating part.

Back