What's new
What's new

Gorton 1-22 Mill, Retrieval and Eventually Questions

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
Rolled out the driveway just after 12 noon on Tuesday, first stop Elko to rent a trailer. Drove till 1am, directions were to Rosie the Riveter museum, but I ended up in a parking lot between the marina and a high school, main marina parking lot required card access, no idea if the building on other side of parking lot was the museum, website says its closed so I did not investigate. There was 1 strip of parking in the school parking lot marked "marina only", I took that to mean it was usable, really surprised I did not get a tap on the window. Woke up a few times, looked like sun was getting ready to rise, 3rd time I decided to check the clock, it was 9:45am, but still dark out. Drove a few blocks over to the yard, it was so dark I did not even see the mill sitting in the parking lot till they told me to back up to it.

First pic was at 10:45, the cell phone had to use lots of magic to make it look that bright, I was on the road by 11am. Second pic was at 7pm, the road home, hwy 50 about halfway across Nevada, only 5 mountain ranges/ 130 miles/ 2.5 hours to go. 3rd pic is off the trailer, have to run it back to Elko tomorrow.

Attachments

• Gorton 1.jpg
    Gorton 1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 305
  • gorton 2.jpg
    gorton 2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 276
  • gorton 3.jpg
    gorton 3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 305
Nice mill!!! I've always love Gorton mills, formal owner of a 9-J mill in years past. Family had three different Gorton mills in the past. Ken

Spent yesterday cleaning and rearranging shop, its starting to get full. Today's job was preparing for trip down the front driveway, first step was turning it 90 degrees on the pallet, carrying it from rear seems best option so as not to take out any handwheels. Lifting eye is missing so I opted to try a heavy duty strap around front and rear of the ram, it did lift it, but machine is so front heavy that it tipped forward precariously, I was not able to place it on pallet the way I wanted using this method. So I loosened ram, moved it forward, and came in on either side of column, plywood pads on forks, and lifted, all the weight goes onto 1 fork as it is so front heavy, but I got it on the pallet.

Neighbor is stopping by tomorrow for the trip down the driveway, just need him to ride the brakes on the Toyota truck, going down the driveway with a machine is scary imho. 12 ft drop in 60 ft.

I will need to lift it one more time to pull out the pallet, then set it on skates, lifting from the side will not be an option, suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• gorton 4.jpg
    gorton 4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 186
  • gorton 5.jpg
    gorton 5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 175
  • gorton 6.jpg
    gorton 6.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 189
  • gorton 7.jpg
    gorton 7.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 166
I hope you back down the drive way and not forward as the forklift is pointing. Also, rotate the head all the way over to where it is almost upside down. That'll help lower the center of gravity of the mill. And strap the mill to the forklift, too. Just in case it want's to take a ride off the forks somewhere in the move. Good luck, hope all goes well! Ken

I hope you back down the drive way and not forward as the forklift is pointing. Also, rotate the head all the way over to where it is almost upside down. That'll help lower the center of gravity of the mill. And strap the mill to the forklift, too. Just in case it want's to take a ride off the forks somewhere in the move. Good luck, hope all goes well! Ken

So far all the machines have gone down forward, first time I was worried the forlkift might tilt forward, but so far that has not happened, weight wise I think this one will be ok too. 2 straps around column, 1 low, 1 high, 1 strap around base sucking it down to forks, and a strap on either end of table to keep it from twisting left/right, I think I'm good. I know I will have to rotate head over to get through the door, I'm honestly a little scared to do that, destroyed that function on my Anayak mill by trying to bring it back up to perpendicular.

I will need to lift it one more time to pull out the pallet, then set it on skates, lifting from the side will not be an option, suggestions welcome.

Slide the head forward enough so that a 3 foot long or so wood 4x6 or 6x6 will fit under the dovetails, just in front of the column. Set the forks on either side of the ram, as close together as you can to avoid damage to paint, handles etc. From front or back depending on access. Lift and cary to your hearts content. This it a way better way to car also since the weight is hanging and not balanced on a pallet/forks. Move the table forward or back to adjust balance.

Just a little update, so you guys won't think I dumped it:D. Trip down the front drive went smoothly, neighbor did insist on using the chevy truck though, dragging the Toyota down the drive last year (surface grinder) gave him the willies. Using 4x6's (6" dimension vertical) to lift off the pallet and set on skates worked well. Scooted it up to ramp into doorway with prybar (first pic), then shoved it up ramp and through doorway with forklift (second pic), and worked it down the hallway to its temporary location (third pic). Table has a few hickeys, not too bad, I've seen worse, machine did come with Trav-a-dials on X and Y axis, may re-home those and upgrade to a DRO in the future. It has a Bijur oiler so there are no oil cups on backside of table, so plenty of room for mounting a scale.

Cleanup started after the last pic, so far from a condition stand point it looks good:)

Attachments

• gorton 8.jpg
    gorton 8.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 164
  • gorton 9.jpg
    gorton 9.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 161
  • gorton 10.jpg
    gorton 10.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 187
  • gorton 11.jpg
    gorton 11.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 174
I have the same mill and the owners manual. If you have any question let me know. There a 2 types, one has adjustments for X and Y travel screw wear. I have the one with the adjustments, mine came with Sony DRO. I got my owners manual from Ozark machine manuals and books if you need one.

I have the same mill and the owners manual. If you have any question let me know. There a 2 types, one has adjustments for X and Y travel screw wear. I have the one with the adjustments, mine came with Sony DRO. I got my owners manual from Ozark machine manuals and books if you need one.

How can I tell if this one has adjustments for screw wear? I did get 3 manuals, Maintenance & Replacement Parts Manuals #2793-B & 2793-C, and Maintenance Manual and Parts catalog #3352. Is your manual different? Think I saw one on Vintage Machinery too, will have to look to see if it is the same or different.

Peroni
That is Finley the fuzzy dalmatian, aka "is crazy dog" (use russian accent)

Texasgunsmith
Yes, dug the new gears out last week, have a plan, just need to get it off the back burner. Planning on staying here through the winter this year, it has been the constant traveling that keeps me from wrapping up projects in a timely manner, and I am trying to rectify that this year.

Yes, dug the new gears out last week, have a plan, just need to get it off the back burner. Planning on staying here through the winter this year, it has been the constant traveling that keeps me from wrapping up projects in a timely manner, and I am trying to rectify that this year.

Nice, I'd like to see more of that too.

I have perfectly good reasonable reasons for prolonged projects as well. And they're legit ! :D

Cleaned up the saddle ways today, very nicely flaked, not sure if this is original or maybe it has seen a rebuild? Table was almost all the way back so I cleaned the front first, moved it all the way forward, it was a little stiff then got smoother as it came onto the clean section. Cleaned rear section, went to move it back, and its bound up (*%&#*), both hands and I can barely budge it. Square ways so it does have the bar on both sides of underside that I can drop and clean, other option is pull the gib and clean it, maybe both. I don't think its a screw issue.

Attachments

• gorton 12.jpg
    gorton 12.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 92
I'll have to check my manuals to see what ones I have. You can see the cross feed screw if you move the table in. What I didn't like on the machine is there is no cover to stop chips from falling onto the cross feed screw. That wire hoop over the cross feed dial is there to lift the rubber sheet that I don't see on your mill that is used to protect the ways and cover the opening for the cross feed nut. Most mills use a sliding plate to limit the chips from getting on the screw. Looking in that opening you can see the cross feed screw and nut and the "jam nut" to actually compensate for nut wear. That should also be shown in the manuals at least it is in mine. I did buy a few metal telescoping way covers at HGR's junk pile and plan to modify them to fit.

Front and rear rubber sheets are there, the rear one ripped in transport, pulled them both today to make cleaning easier. They have seen better days, easy enough to replace, item #1 on the new crackmaster list.

What's the black thing that looks like a motor, mounted behind the quill handle on the ram ? Never seen one of those before ... cross ways look nice. The whole mill looks pretty nice :)

It's not on the ground yet but you may want it a little farther from the wall in back ... the coolant tank goes into the base, access from behind, and with a Gorton you end up swinging the ram around more than a Bridgeport, just because of the shorter travels. At least, if you do much oddball repair work.

edit: the motor on the left side of the knee ... did you get the much-desired knee feed ? On my older one the table feed is on the right side of the table ... if you got the knee feed, you stole that thing. That alone is worth whatever you paid for the whole machine.

It doesn't look as he has the power knee lifting system. I have it on my Gorton. The fact he has a crank handle implies it will not lift under power. Like I said I do have the power lift and a round handle similar to the table feed handles. It don't have the typical handle on the elevating hand wheel either, finger groves are provided for traction. Power has only one speed so that you move the knee near the desired location and complete the movement to the exact height needed with the hand wheel.

Back