What's new
What's new

Gorton Question- 0-16 vs 0-16A

toadboy65

Plastic
I am looking at some vertical mills. One of them is a Gorton 0-16. It seems like most of the info available online is for the 0-16a. with no discussion of the difference.

My main concern is the Gorton taper collets. At 1/2" max size, that is a fairly important limitation. Some Gorton machines apparently have the Gorton taper sleeve pressed into a B&S #9, which would be super nice. Not having access to prints for the 0-16, I cannot know if that is the case.

Any hints?

I am sure the Gorton collets get used in an adapter.
The machine should be B&S #9.
I saw on Ebay, there are some B&S #9 adapters being sold
that convert to ER32 or ER40, I forget which.
It seems like a better collet system.
Probably a Chinese seller, but I think that is all that
is out there.

-Doozer

I have seen that B&S #9 collets are out there. My worry is that the machine, which I have not had an opportunity to examine, might be profiled for only the Gorton taper collets.
It seems odd that they would even make a machine that is limited to 1/2" shank tools.

The 0-16 mill I believe started out with the no. 9 B & S spindle taper. Later offered with the R-8 taper. I don't recall it having the special Gorton taper in the spindle. The only mill I recall having the Gorton taper is the older 8-D mill. Go do some researching on the Gorton Machine Tool website and look for the specs on the 0-16 mill in the catalogs posted on that website. Ken

My 8-1/2 d has the 9 taper B&S spindle and I did buy a Chinese ER 40 collet adapter. The 1/2-13 thread on the adapter was not deep enough for the Gorton's draw bar and I had to drill and ream the adapter through to the thread from the other end I did this on the lathe in steps the adapter was hard stuff but it worked. I got a few #9 b&s end mill holders which are a good option too. The odd ball collets on the 16 make removing the adapter a good move but how hard is removing it?
b1c69d96a97295292965df528ba073d7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

They are a bear to remove if someone tighten the sh^t out of the draw bar!!!

My rule of thumb I used to use, use a 6" cresent wrench and tighten gently. That's all needed to hold a B & S taper in place on any machine!

I with second that tighten with a ham fist in a warm spindle and you get a shrink fit the is hard to undo. I learned and now just snug it up lightly. I have been using # end mill holders and the ER-40 collet chuck but have been thinking about a set of #9 collets any opinions on this?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I have a Gorton O-16A mill with the universal milling head and the spindle is for the Gorton proprietary collet - 1/2 inch max bore.
The universal head tilts side to side, nods front and back. and traverses in and out.
There may be spindle differences in the two different types of heads used on the O-16 mills.

The spindle on mine seems to be bored directly for the Gorton collet and I don't think it has an adapter sleeve in a larger B&S 9 bore.
If the quill is sleeved down it is not very obvious.
I am going to take a very close look next time I am where the mill is.
I have lots of BS9 tooling and it would be a big improvement to be able to use it in the little Gorton mill.

My old Index 55 was bored for BS9 collets and Wells Index offered a service of boring them out for R-8.
I wounder if the O-16a spindle could be rebored for R-8?
I wonder if Wells Index could/would do it?
Cost was about $300 as I recall.

I just picked up and set an 016a. Nice little machine! I have some of the same questions about the spindle. Would it be able to be bored out to a bs9? Or would it be worthwhile getting one of those ching Chong bs9 to er40 collet adapters and machining it flat for the gorton taper

Back