Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by enginebill View Post
    I think that you would not need a slip joint on the condenser with a piped connection as the pipe would just move away from the condenser freely. The slip joint would have to be in the center of the pipe to allow for expansion. Since the slip joint is drawn on the condenser I would think that the condenser was connected directly to the steam outlet.
    from illustrations I found it does look like the steam outlet from the cylinder directly links to the condenser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails appleton.jpg   arcti1850.jpg   side-leve.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

next is to check the condenser and where it is placed in the engine the square opening on the left is in a direct line with the center of the exhaust column
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails conn1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looking at the funnel shaped piece I put it here because there was a hole BUT then I came across this drawing and there is also a hole in the side of the condenser lower down.
    maybe I am wrong again and the horn shaped pieces does not go on the outside but rather someplace on the inside

well it looks like I am wrong more times than right but if I keep trying to fit things together odds are I might get something right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails conn2.jpg   conn5.jpg   dampfma.jpg  

4. Likes Greg Johnson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will figure it out eventually.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will figure it out eventually.
    reminds me of the early days with computers I know my CAD programs and photo programs but when it came to operating system I am at a total loss. I would sit for days on end trying to figure out what is wrong, my dad would stop over and type this or that and click here and BAM! within minutes all was fixed. It comes down to knowing what your doing rather than taking a guess and a shot in the dark.

That is where members on the forum come in I can sit here forever and try this or that and never hit the right combination because to me it is all guess work. But for someone who actually knows something at a glance they know what part is what and how it works.
    so I want to thank all those who do respond to this build.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you talked to Alex Karnes? He is a young kid but is very knowledgeable about steam.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you talked to Alex Karnes? He is a young kid but is very knowledgeable about steam.
    no I have not so how do I contact him?

my original plan was to create a diorama of the first US navy steam ship the Mississippi under construction. The idea was to create a 3d model of the engine and them print out all the parts. I got the original plans from the national archives and there are some 70 drawings of the engine. It did not take long to realize it would take someone who knows steam engines to figure this out. Starting out knowing nothing, a year later I taught myself enough to begin the re engineering of the engine.
    during my year long research someone came up and said "I wonder if this can be engineered to actually work?"
    My idea was to just create a dummy engine with no working parts and hollow. Because there are missing drawings I have to fill in parts like the cylinder valve system.
    The diorama of the Mississippi is 3/8 = 1 foot scale the hull will be 7 feet long so my plan was to donate the diorama to the Philly maritime museum where the Mississippi was built. Because there are parts on the drawing I can not identify they will be scattered around the diorama waiting to be assembled.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Send me your email address in a private message by clicking on my name and I will forward it to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were some links to this archive in one of Asquith’s o;der threads on 1820 s Machine tools

CNUM - 4LE38 : pl.2 - im.261

I didn’t see anything on the engine or condenser you are working on so far but I only took a short look.
    I copied the links I looked at .
    CNUM - 4LE38 : Essai sur les bateaux à vapeur appliqués à la navigation intérieure et maritime de l'Europe
    Tests on European steam boats
    Essai sur les bateaux à vapeur appliqués à la navigation intérieure et maritime de l'Europ...

CNUM - 4LE38 : Essai sur les bateaux à vapeur appliqués à la navigation intérieure et maritime de l'Europe

Bateau+a+vapeur
    Erreur
    I had tried a search for Bateau a Vapeur but the link will not save for me so you will have to retype it in.
    Memories of steam boats of the U.S.A.
    Mémoire sur les bateaux à vapeur des États-Unis d'Amérique
    CNUM - 4SA11.1 : Mémoire sur les bateaux à vapeur des États-Unis d'Amérique, avec un appendice sur diverses machines relatives a la marine (...) précédé du rapport fait à l'Institut sur ce mémoire - Mémoire sur les bateaux à vapeur des États-Unis d'A

I got distracted with work and other things but if you can manage in French or maybe one of the other visitors to this thread who does might turn up something on condenser design .
    Other references that were found in Asquith’s thread had drawings in them so they for the most part wouldn’t need translation once you find them .
    Maybe I can try and look a bit more in a few days .
    Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Christie; 07-25-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 3 main modeling projects left to do
    1 the water wheel
    2 linkage for the lever arm and valve system on the cylinder
    3 the boilers

the water wheels are pretty straight forward the valve system is a little tricky

and the boilers I have been avoiding because I do not quite understand the drawings

first there is a full drawing then sections of the drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler4.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

here are closer looks at parts of the full drawing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boile3.jpg   boile5.jpg   boile8.jpg   boiler1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler6.jpg   boiler7.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

these next 2 drawings show the placement of the boilers in the hull
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler8.jpg   boiler12.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this drawing shows details of the doors and other parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler9.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and what I assume to be the steam piping to the engines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler10.jpg   boiler11.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in post #50 of the full drawing it is showing 4 end views that is confusing because there are only 2 ends to the boiler

in post #53 the first drawing is showing something that looks like a dome between the 2 boilers

from all the boilers I researched I always see a lot of small tubes running inside but these drawings do not show that, either a drawing is missing or I am just missing something

this entire boiler has to be sitting or incased in something I suspect it is going to get hot and it is in a wooden hull.

the boiler is made from copper

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there are so many types of boilers it is hard to figure out where to start
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boilers.jpg   a46.jpg   a54.jpg   a50.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

take a look at this

these are the end caps that go over the tubes look at the longer arrow which points to the circle now follow the blue line of the edge of the strap and the profile is showing the arc of the circle touches the edge of the strap. The top view shows the circle falling short of the strap there is a little gap between the long and short arrows
    OR

am i missing something here?

can someone explain what i am look at what i see is a flat copper plate and on the inside is bolted a cup then bolted to the face of the boiler is a strap that goes over the cup piece but then i see a dotted line under the strap and the cup goes through the flat plate so is the flat plate a ring?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boiler1.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I see there is a copper bowl since the boiler is copper the copper circle would have to be bowl shaped for the pressure. The strap is on the bottom, the copper bowl is just above the strap and the cup shaped piece is on top which would have been on the inside of the boiler. The cup and bowl look to be riveted together and one rivet in the center to hold the bowl to the strap.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I see there is a copper bowl since the boiler is copper the copper circle would have to be bowl shaped for the pressure. The strap is on the bottom, the copper bowl is just above the strap and the cup shaped piece is on top which would have been on the inside of the boiler. The cup and bowl look to be riveted together and one rivet in the center to hold the bowl to the strap.

here is what I think I see there is a curved strap which the ends slip into straps riveted to the face of the boiler, it can be rotated and removed.
    inside is a cup bolted or riveted to a curved bowl, this assembly is bolted to the strap by one center bolt. the flat brown pieces shown in the sectional drawing is a ring like a huge washer that slips over the cup.

I have a wood burning stove and under the top of the stove is a blast shield if it were not there the fire would in time burn through the top of the stove. so that is why I thought there was a ring or washer shaped plate around the cup protecting the inner cover from heat.

I have no clue what that cup is for but hey its there for a reason

as a draftsman the dotted line in the sectional drawing of the bowel riveted to the cup threw me, dotted line means hidden from view and I do not see why it is hiding, it should be a solid line
    Last edited by daves101; 07-30-2019 at 11:15 AM.