What's new
What's new

Gould & Eberhardt Shaper oil viscosity.

kenton

Stainless
I recently purchased a 16in Gould & Eberhardt universal tool room shaper from a fellow member on this site. I wanted to change the oil in the sump before I started running the shaper but got somewhat confused when deciding what oil to use. The manuals I found online (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2111/19571.pdf) recommended oil with a viscosity rating of 450-600 saybolt units. When I checked the list of suggested oils I recognized Mobil DTE Extra Heavy as being a ISO 150 oil. I went to Mcmaster-Carr to order a 5 gallon pail of ISO 150 oil (McMaster-Carr) and noticed that it had a saybolt rating of 750.

At the local farm store I can get 5 gallons of ISO 100 trans hydraulic oil, but it has no ratings marked other than ISO 100. According to a viscosity chart I found online, (Viscosity versus viscosity index) 80w90 falls right in line with the correct viscosity ratings and the stuff currently in the machine smells like gear oil.

Does anyone have any experience or advise on what oil to use in this shaper.

As a side note I'm having issues getting the table to move vertically, it seems something may be jamming the bevel gears that appear to drive the nut on the screw. It looks like there is a access cover behind the horizontal screw but I can't get to the screw heads without removing the lead screw. If anyone has any suggestions I may have missed I would be happy to hear them.

shaper 2.jpg

On the 36" Ohio, I run a mix of DTE Heavy and Vactra 4 way oil. Probably silly, but I figure I am trying to oil Ram ways, sliding block in vertical arm AND gearing

The most important area in a crank shaper to continuously get oil is something you cannot even see until you take the side cover off, and that is the sliding block in the vertical arm

As a side note I'm having issues getting the table to move vertically,

Don't neglect the several clamp bolts clamping it to the column

I forgot to mention I did find a clamp bolt and verify that it was loosened, in addition to the main clamp. F and G in the manual pictures.

Adam Booth (Abom 79 on youtube) not long ago got a G&E shaper and did an oil change...I can't remember if he showed what oil he used but it should still be on youtube..It hasn't been that long ago that he got that machine and got it installed in his home shop....Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

I have the G&E 24" and I will tell you what I did , was to call Mobil oil 1-800-662-4525 , and I gave them the info of what the machine said it needed by the manual I downloaded from the internet and they cross referenced it and told me what to use. I don't remember what type I used but I must still have I here. It may have been DTE 26 but don't hold me to that I may be wrong. Mike

I forgot to mention I did find a clamp bolt and verify that it was loosened, in addition to the main clamp. F and G in the manual pictures.

I refer to the several on each side of the column - like in your photo. These are not "gib adjusters", they are clamping bolts

I refer to the several on each side of the column - like in your photo. These are not "gib adjusters", they are clamping bolts

Not according to the manual, or my experience on a couple of G&E's that I had.

Snipet from the manual...

To traverse vertically: First loosen table support clamp and remove the st ress block. Then loosen the rail clamp (F) and revolve rail clamp (G) seve ral revolutions counter-clockwise. (Do not loosen the jam nuts be-cause they o re adju sted to hold the crossrail slideably to the frame.)

Thanks! I stand corrected on G&E

Not according to the manual, or my experience on a couple of G&E's that I had.

Snipet from the manual...

To traverse vertically: First loosen table support clamp and remove the st ress block. Then loosen the rail clamp (F) and revolve rail clamp (G) seve ral revolutions counter-clockwise. (Do not loosen the jam nuts be-cause they o re adju sted to hold the crossrail slideably to the frame.)

Back