What's new
What's new

Gould & Eberhardt Shaper Parts

kenton

Stainless
I am working on a 16in G&E tool room shaper with a universal table and have found that the nut/bevel gear that raises and lowers the table (part 85 on sheet S-4A http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2111/17451.pdf) is roached. I was wondering if anyone has a source for G&E parts or if I am firmly in find a parts shaper / make my own territory.

If anyone has a long memory this is the same shaper I was posting about in this thread.
Gould & Eberhardt Shaper oil viscosity.

Yeah, it's been a while. But now that it is getting colder, outside projects seem less fun than messing around with a greasy old shaper.

The industrial version appears to have a worm gear for the vertical table movement, not sure why the difference but I feel better about trying to make a bevel gear. So at least I have that going for me.

179 views and no comments on part sources, it looks like I may be making replacement parts.

179 views and no comments on part sources, it looks like I may be making replacement parts.

Seems reasonable. Shapers have gone down to nearly nothing in the commercial sense - isn't that same sense the SUPPORTER of any spare parts business?

I mean who would possibly bother if all there is in the way of parts buyers is the occasional hobbyist - who almost never are willing to pay for things to get made from scratch?

I have a 20" heavy duty one that had a bevel gear with a broken tooth.I welded it and hand filed into shape,worked out real good.
G&E sold all their intellectual property to Smith & Mills in 58.

I would bet that one of the gear mf's like Martin would have something that would work.If I remember it screwed on to the elevating screw so you would have to make an insert if you can't get one with a small enough bore to thread.Do you know the pitch and no of teeth?

The way its made you may be able to get a pair with more or less teeth and make them work if the exact tooth count is not available.

At some point, G&E ended up in bed with Norton, my 1964 G&E has Norton on the ram as well. VM has a PDF manual for that vintage of shaper too.

I just purchased a G&E Shaper along with a few other machines last Thursday, I am heading out there after work to get the serial number & model. I suspect it is an earlier 1884-1900 model so I am not sure how compatible it is with yours. I will post an update with more info and if the parts are interchangeable then we might be in business.

Back