What's new
What's new

Gould & Eberhardt Technical Support

cobalt blue

Aluminum
Technical information on G&E Shapers appears to be nearly non existant.

I have been told that the rights to the G&E line was acquired through a series of mergers over the years, but that one maufacturer has engineering drawings and therefore repair parts should be available. Can someone tell me who might support this line.

Are manuals available for the 16 to 20 inch toolroom shapers. I need lubrication information, volume and type, information that would be found in an operators manual. I don't find them available even from the commercial manual dealers.

Your help is appreciated,

Thanks,
Stan

I contacted RP Machine and they do support the Shaper product line of Gould and Eberhardt.

Their records on Shapers is limited, at least on a machine with as low a serial number as this machine I have is. They are going to gather for me what information they have that they feel is applicable. Hopefully it will be sufficient to get me by. They are helpful and seem genuinely interested in helping G&E users to keep their machines running.

I felt like this machine was a mid 40's machine, judging by appearance more than anything else and comparing it with older machines that I have seen. RP Machine however, seem to think it may be older, perhaps mid 30's. We'll just have to see what they come up with.

I have located an original parts list that covers up to machine serial number 46xx. However, it does not have a beginning serial number nor a catalog date from which you could approximately date at least the later serial number machines.

Surely one of the Operators Manuals must have survived out there in one of the long time dealers file cabinets. I can't be the only one who holds on to stuff forever.

I thank each of you who responded and came to my help. It is no small thing for their to be a manufacturer that is still in business to support this old equipment.

Thanks all,
Stan

Michael E.

Somehow your post seemed to jump in between posts, that is, other posts appeared, then yours suddenly showed up as if added later but in proper date and time sequence.

Well, this machine is remarkably similar to that shown in the TM. The oil filter appears to be a later design from what is shown in an earlier parts list (up to 46xx serial number) that I have access to, but mechanically the machine appears nearly identical.

The lubricant volume for the 16 inch toolroom shaper is 5 gallons. Wow, better have that sump cleaned out and ready for several dollars worth of lubricant, and heaven help you if you have one of the big machines, 11 gal.

The operating instructions will help immensely. I had only one opportunity to run one of these machines in the mechanical engineering lab at the University of Texas about 1966. Of course under an instructors watchful eye. And, about a 14 inch South Bend lathe. That opportunity was a highlight of my engineering education and the beginning of a long fascination with machine tools. Who says you can't go home.

I forget about the Army Technical Manuals as a resource, probably because I don't know how to search for them very well. I know there are libraries that even today are repositories for all TM's ever written and once found an excellent overhaul manual on the Guiberson Radial Diesel engine that was manufactured by my former employer before my career began there.

Thanks ME for the link,
Stan

I know this is an old tread but I just bought a 16" G&E and it needs new sight glasses. Going to reach out to R P Machine and see if they carry parts.

Made these for the 36" Ohio from LEXAN (Home Depot "window glass")

That was 15 years ago. They are still perfect

Attachments

• DCP_0652.JPG
    DCP_0652.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DCP_0654.JPG
    DCP_0654.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DCP_0655.JPG
    DCP_0655.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 72
  • DCP_0656.JPG
    DCP_0656.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 65
  • DCP_0658.JPG
    DCP_0658.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 59
I know this is an old tread but I just bought a 16" G&E and it needs new sight glasses. Going to reach out to R P Machine and see if they carry parts.

Do you need the (2) clear acorn caps on the ram? A heat gun and some thin Lexan might do the trick. I have the same machine, they push right in.

Do you need the (2) clear acorn caps on the ram? A heat gun and some thin Lexan might do the trick. I have the same machine, they push right in.
Yes I need all 4 on the ram and the one on the table support. I called the R P machines number and it is disconnected. Going to have to make some myself.

ncjeeper
Welcome to the shaper community. Please post some photos of your G&E Shaper. Do a search for replacement sight glass and you find many options to fix your ram oil sight glass. You can machine them. Abom79 replaced some on his G&E on YouTube.

Thanks for the welcome smfkt2055a. Can I post photos directly or do I need a 3rd party host service? I used to use photobucket but they went to crap a while back.

Nice smfkt205sa. Let me ask you something. What direction do you belts turn? The directional tag is missing from my belt guard and I am close to wiring the machine up. Lets see if these photos post.
GOPR3175.jpg

ncjeeper
Very nice Shaper and universal table is a plus. There may have been a tag above the belt guard. On my machine the tag shows clockwise rotation of the driven pulley. Please post more photos as you get it up to running. I had to do extensive cleaning along with new oil, filter and felt wipers. I hope you got all the wrenches, I had to build a table wrench and still looking for the vise wrench. You may want to get the book by Fred Colvin,"Planing, Shaping, and slotting"-Lindsay Publications.

Back