What's new
What's new

greaves klusman lathe

Its a classic old lathe, pre-1920 very likely. Spindle is 99% likely to be a threaded nose type requiring a DIY effort to fit other tooling OTOH existing tooling seems complete wrt basics. Looks like a fancy variable speed setup has been fit to the machine, top spindle rpm is in the 300-400 rpm range in any case. Looks in ready-to-work condition though.

We have a similar model Greaves Klusman approximately in "parts donor" condition at Tuckahoe on the MD Eastern Shore, for sale. Unfortunately rather a long distance to ship parts to France and the lathe pictured probably doesn't need much anyhow.

The table on the bottom of that ad suggests GK was making gear and coneheads as of 1920 (assuming that year as per the image's filename)- other manufacturers were as well. The Tuckahoe GK is a gearhead, the others referenced in this thread are coneheads. Like other designs of the age the difference is more or less confined to the headstock; somewhat different gearing configurations & no big cone pulley on the gearhead. Not sure what "size are in inches and where" refers to however the "swing" is in inches and refers to the maximum swept diameter of the workpiece that will fit in the lathe such that the saddle can traverse beneath it. Usually there is some extra space factored in so a 14" swing lathe can often work something closer to 16" but this will vary by manufacturer. Note the faceplates can be larger, extending nearly to the ways since its not expected that the saddle will traverse beneath them.

thank for your help

for johnoder
I understand.for the model 20x8
20'' is the maximum diameter over bed
8'' and the total length of the bed

Je ne peut pas voir les phots sur l’autre site.
Si vous pouvez les mettre ici ca sera plus facile pour nous a vous aider.
John Oder a indiquer les manivelles pour le chariot et le tablier.
Avec les photos de la boite a vitesses de la vise mère on peut possiblement voir mieux.
Il ya une publication ici qui peut aider a traduire les noms des pièces des tour entre Français et Anglais .
https://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ressources/bibliotheque/dictionnaires/tourstournage_02.pdf
Voir les explications page 9 dans le lien.
loosely translated,
I can’t see the pictures on the other site.
If you can post your pictures on this site it would be easier for people here to help you.
John Oder has shown the carriage and apron controls.
A post on your other thread says something about the speed selector for the quick change box on yours is broken .
If you can post some pictures of your quick change gear box for threading we could maybe we would have a better idea.
The publication in the link above gives the translation between French and English for various parts an operations of a lathe .
The terms used in North America , the U.K. and the French European terms and those that are sometimes used in Canada.
See the abreviations list on Page 9 of the link .
Regards,
Jim

Amazing - only one I have ever seen with that style threading / feeding gear box - so I will refrain from commenting (on your number 2 and 3) other than to say the "tag" riveted to the gear box should be informative as to what those two controls do as to settings for threading and feeding

I have seen GK lathes with NO gear box and this style gearbox

100_1986.jpg

As to your photo with the numbers

Control marked 1 provides forward and reverse of threading and feeding

Control 4, 5, 6 & 7 have been identified in an above post

You need to know that the not numbered "KNOB" above item #3 (somewhat hiding under bracket for electrical switch) selects between lead screw and feed rod - the lead screw being the long threaded item upper most and the long smooth round rod beneath the lead screw with the full length keyway being the feed rod

Though a pain language wise, a great source of GENERIC info would be such as this

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Very good chance there are French language versions of at least some editions of this in the European used book market since South Bend sold lathes planet wide for a very long time

It looks like the handle with the retractable pin to engage the holes in the gear box on the gear box tumbler gear lever is broken off and missing.
I’m guessing it would look similar to the Tumbler gear lever identified here.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ots-identify-lathe-other-machine-dscf2778.jpg
or the ones shown in John Oder’s pictures.
Something that you will have to make if you don’t have the broken part to weld back on .
Jim

thank you for his precious information, I translate all this and I come back to you with images to be sure not to do anything stupid that could damage this beautiful machine

The broken part on yours would have looked something like the one in the link below for a South Bend.
Le pièce brisé sur votre machine paraitra semblable de celui dans le dessin qui est pour un tour South Bend .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ever-848ea567-2e83-452d-91c1-ab321d0398cc.jpg
Plus d’information ici.
Single Tumbler Quick Change Lever
Ill faut probablement commencer a faire le pièce avec le douille qu’on retire contre le ressort qui rentre dans les trous de la boite a vitesse et faire des expériences pour trouver la longer de la pièce qui manque pour rejoindre le partie existant sur le tour.
You would probably have to start by making the spring engagement pin assembly with the pin that goes into the holes of the changebox and then with some trials figure out the length of the piece you would need to make to join up with the remains of the old lever .
Jim

Back