Greaves Klusman Lathe - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rj1939 View Post
    You referenced "hammer the job", were you referring to hammering the babbit? What was the purpose of that?
    If your referring to peening the Babbitt, I dont believe Tyrone was talking about that but I may be mistaken. Peening Babbitt is done whenever its poured over a material which doesn't tin, such as cast iron. Steel will tin so the babbit sticks to it, but with iron the Babbitt shrinks when it cools pulling away from the base material. A good Babbitt pour will include peening the Babbitt to open it up and spring it back against the housing before its line bored. Keeps the bearing tight and once machined you cant tell it was done. Hope that's what you were asking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ironsmith89 View Post
    If your referring to peening the Babbitt, I dont believe Tyrone was talking about that but I may be mistaken. Peening Babbitt is done whenever its poured over a material which doesn't tin, such as cast iron. Steel will tin so the babbit sticks to it, but with iron the Babbitt shrinks when it cools pulling away from the base material. A good Babbitt pour will include peening the Babbitt to open it up and spring it back against the housing before its line bored. Keeps the bearing tight and once machined you cant tell it was done. Hope that's what you were asking.
    Yeah, that pretty well answers it. I've seen "dimples" or some kind of method for the babbit to hang onto, in castings.