What's new
What's new

Greenerd No. 7 Arbor Press - Looking for Info - New Shop Acquisition

crcarson26

Aluminum
Hey Guys,

Looking for any info on the below pictured Greenerd No. 7 Arbor Press. Capacity, rated load, weight, etc. would be great. Got a great price on it and looking forward to putting it to use.

Cheers,

Z1jXdRFh.jpg

Did you really post this because you've never heard of Google?
Or is it really a gloat thread?

https://www.greenerd.com/uploads/literature-pdfs/ArborCatalog.pdf

Thank you for your reply. And thank you for posting something that DOES NOT contain the model I need. Yes I may have heard of the Google :scratchchin:.. I can not find the info I am seeking on The Google.. Also searched VintageMachinery.org with no luck.. Please let me know if you find something for this Model No. 7.

Gloating feels Great!! ;)

Cheers.

The mushroom head on the top of the ram is not a good sign, but they are great presses.

You have a great eye sir.. Yes I was curious about this as well, and am hoping it is not what it seems. If it is a mushroom top, and that has been pushed through the neck and scored it in any significant way, then I may have to bore it out and press a sleeve in. I will know more tomorrow when I pick it up at the dock. One other aspect that is a bit of a shame: The jack screw that lifts the table seems to be missing, so I need to machine an acme threaded-shaft and some bevel gears anyway.

It will be a pleasure bringing this beast back to its former glory!!

More Photos and info to come.

Cheers,

Just letting you know I didn't find it but Mud did.
Your WELCOME

Thank you for your reply. And thank you for posting something that DOES NOT contain the model I need. Yes I may have heard of the Google :scratchchin:.. I can not find the info I am seeking on The Google.. Also searched VintageMachinery.org with no luck.. Please let me know if you find something for this Model No. 7.

Gloating feels Great!! ;)

Cheers.

You have a great eye sir.. Yes I was curious about this as well, and am hoping it is not what it seems. If it is a mushroom top, and that has been pushed through the neck and scored it in any significant way, then I may have to bore it out and press a sleeve in. I will know more tomorrow when I pick it up at the dock. One other aspect that is a bit of a shame: The jack screw that lifts the table seems to be missing, so I need to machine an acme threaded-shaft and some bevel gears anyway.

It will be a pleasure bringing this beast back to its former glory!!

More Photos and info to come.

Cheers,

I bought a #5 Greenerd for $150 a few years back that looked about like yours. I bought it covered in snow and figured I couldn't go wrong. Once I got it into the shop and really inspected it I found it was pretty wasted. Not beyond use, but it needed weeks of machinework, blasting, painting, missing parts reverse engineered, etc. I just couldn't get myself excited enough about it to jump into the project so I sold it a year or so later.

I hope someday I'll have one of those years where my accountant says I need to spend money or lose it and if there's a creampuff extra large size Greenerd, Dake, or Atlas on Ebay I might just hit the buy button.

I have a nice 2-1/2 Greenerd and it's really served me well. Doubt I can spend a whole day in the shop and not use it for something.

I don't think I've seen a larger arbor press that wasn't mushroomed a little bit at least. Mine was very little on the top, the bottom was beat up worse, just from pressing on the edges. I filed both ends into shape to make them round and made caps that clamped on both ends, the bottom to give a smooth and square end to work with, the top to protect it when someone just can't resist giving it a tap. That way I avoided taking the drive all apart.
I've been plotting making a bottom cap like a shellholder to hold slip in attachments, I might forgo that and do something magnetic with a Jacobs 18N chuck to hold pins and etc.
And yes, seems like the single most used floor machine in the shop.

I'd like to find a catalog with the larger arbor presses in it. The OP has a 7, I have a 6, and I've seen larger ratchet presses with 2 uprights straddling the base.

I have a few Greenerd catalogs. Here are some photos of No 6 presses from those catalogs.

Left = catalog #41, date unknown.
Right = catalog #39, about 1942

Only two of my four catalogs included a #6 press.

Attachments

• cat_41_no_6.jpg
    cat_41_no_6.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1942_no_6.jpg
    1942_no_6.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 90
Hey Guys,

Looking for any info on the below pictured Greenerd No. 7 Arbor Press. Capacity, rated load, weight, etc. would be great. Got a great price on it and looking forward to putting it to use.

Cheers,

Here are some photos of #7 presses from my catalogs:

L to R: Catalog #41 (date unk), Catalog N (1918) data table, Catalog #39 (1942), Catalog N (1918), Catalog #36 (1937)

cat_41_no_7.jpg1918_data_tbl.jpg1942_No_7.jpg1918_No_7.jpg1937_No_7.jpg

Well Guys I picked up the press today. There's good news and some other news I wasn't expecting. The good news is the Press is generally in good shape, and almost all the parts are here. The only thing missing which I was aware of at the time of purchase, is the Acme jack screw for the Z-axis table adjustment. I have some photos from a few other presses and (hopefully) will make a great winter tinker project on the lathe.

mTxGoFFh.jpg

The concerning part that I was not expecting is, these presses suffer a terrible fracture from MORONS mis-using them. Let me explain:

The table on this press is designed to be height-adjusted with the jack screw, and then the large studs protruding out the back are to be snugged FIRST, and then force applied to the table/part. This allows the upright spine-structure to bear the load of your work. Photo below of the large table studs:

SLuouPHh.jpg

Unfortunately, when idiots don't know what they are doing, they adjust the height of the table and forget to snug the table studs. When they apply the force to the table/work, the force is transferred through the jack screw and into the floor base-plate which has no support directly underneath it. Doing this repeatedly causes a fracture in the mid-base plate that is evident in every single one of these presses I have found photos of.

Mine is no different, and has been braised back together with a very large amount of support material.

PrynIXEh.jpg

5C9ipjyh.jpg

After many hours of close inspection, it looks to me that this repair was done long ago. There is a lot of extra support material added to the fracture zone, and great penetration was achieved with the braise work. Whoever repaired this fracture took their time to be sure it was a proper repair. Thank You to whoever you are.

Below are photos of another example that suffered the exact same fracture.

jYEkYKjh.jpg

gPn2GtFh.jpg

Ea6M3z7h.jpg

In Summary, I am very happy with the purchase, and will spend this winter Making This Press Great Again!! :D

I'd love to hear your thoughts and input, and thank you for those who have helped me find the documents and info needed to bring this beast back to life.

Cheers,

Nice press! There is a member local to me that has one of these big ones and I almost bought it from him. Not sure what size it is. Good to know about the base.

It looks like a foot right under the screw might help prevent it from cracking again. That way if it was stressed like that again it would hit the ground instead of trying to flex the casting between the existing feet. Make it even with the other feet or just a hair recessed up so the press wont rock on it. Hard to tell measurements from pics but something like a 6x6x1/2" plate could even be stuck on with rtv or somesuch...

Back