What's new
What's new

Apron removal.....Lodge and Shipley

Longshot379

Plastic
I have recently acquired a late 1908 Lodge and Shipley lathe with a 16" swing and a 10' bed. After remounting the motor and doing a few other things, I finally got it running last night. I discovered what I think is a broken gear behind the apron which moves the carriage(?). With the lathe turning, I can engage the handle circled in green and everything works. The carriage moves away from the chuck, the threading indicating dial stops turning.

When I engage the red handle in either direction, The yellow shaft turns, but nothing else does. I'm guessing this is the feed control. While looking up behind the apron, everything appears to be turning and engaging smoothly. One gear with a small diameter and a large diameter( which engages the carriage wheel) appears to broken where the two diameters meet.

My question is how involved is it to remove the apron from the carriage? I have found four bolts on top that appear to hold it on. My thinking is remove the four bolts and pull it away from the machine. Are there any surprises that I need to be aware of behind it?2019-06-11 19.32.02resizedB.jpg2019-04-25 17.50.17-1resized.jpg

When you take the four bolts out, the problem will be getting the half nut off the leadscrew. (depending on how it is made) I figure this is still a single wall apron, which has less to deal with.
You should be able to see behind the apron well enough to get an idea of how it should come apart. Disassembly may not even be necessary. The yellow knob still needs to be engaged, to make things happen, usually it had to be tightened to engage a cone clutch. That can be rusted up from neglect, but usually not hard to free up.

Attachments

• Dcp_1118.jpg
    Dcp_1118.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Dcp_1117.jpg
    Dcp_1117.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Dcp_1116.jpg
    Dcp_1116.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Dcp_1115.jpg
    Dcp_1115.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Dcp_1114.jpg
    Dcp_1114.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 81
Lead screw has to come out (of apron) TO THE LEFT. Long beds like this make it interesting - especially when the thing turns out to weigh 200 Lbs

"Holder uppers" helped me manage it - alone

Attachments

• DCP_1112.jpg
    DCP_1112.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DCP_1113.jpg
    DCP_1113.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 65
Your machine might not be broken!
when you engage the red handle and yellow shaft turns,
yellow shaft should be a some type knob (star or knurled) that has to be tightened
to engage feed drive. red handle down should turn yellow shaft causing long feed
and red handle up should turn upper right shaft causing the cross slide feed

Indeed - before ever taking it apart, get the pair of apron clutches working and understood.

Left one (in yellow circle) for long feed, right one for cross feed. Three position lever selects fwd/neutral/rev FEED. You do your threading with it IN NEUTRAL using the half nut lever on the right

Apron clutches are RIGHT TIGHT - when the feed takes off. Such things are FREQUENTLY STUCK in the disengaged (left loose) position

On the size....looks like four bolts on tail stock making it at least an 18", and the cool cabinet legs were used on the 20" - so maybe not a 16":)

a late 1908 Lodge and Shipley lathe with a 16" swing and a 10' bed

Thumbnails from 1910

Your machine might not be broken!
when you engage the red handle and yellow shaft turns,
yellow shaft should be a some type knob (star or knurled) that has to be tightened
to engage feed drive. red handle down should turn yellow shaft causing long feed
and red handle up should turn upper right shaft causing the cross slide feed

Attachments

• 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 50
When looking up behind the apron with the lathe running, I can see the gears that are connected to the red handle working. The yellow shaft turns when the red handle is down and the other one turns in up position. I'll try and get a short video of the back side of the apron.

I have both of the knurled knobs turned as far to the right as I can get them. What is the best way to get the clutches unstuck if they are?

Unsticking knobs. Since both are round, a strap wrench may work.

Or big enough water pump pliers with padding, like old leather belt

You will have to hang onto the hand wheel or whatever tries to turn while you are trying to unstick.

Bumping tool may do more good than a steady twist

Thumbnail is the double end bevel gear the three position lever is moving (scan from 1910)

When looking up behind the apron with the lathe running, I can see the gears that are connected to the red handle working. The yellow shaft turns when the red handle is down and the other one turns in up position. I'll try and get a short video of the back side of the apron.

I have both of the knurled knobs turned as far to the right as I can get them. What is the best way to get the clutches unstuck if they are?

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 52
I got it! The nut on the left clutch had been tightened all the way down. I loosened it and was able to tighten the clutch knob. The right side was stuck and I had to hold the crossfeed knob to get it loose.

I now understand the clutches. At first they were both tight and the crossfeed and long feed(?) was feeding at the same time. You loosen one or the other depending on what you are doing. The three position lever controls direction.

Two posts of photos of fixing a 1914 cross slide apron clutch some years back for a member. The two gears have male and female cones that get squozed together when the knob is tightened. Star knobs suceeded the knurled jobs

Attachments

• P1000380sm.jpg
    P1000380sm.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 50
  • P1000381sm.jpg
    P1000381sm.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1000382sm.jpg
    P1000382sm.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 57
  • P1000383sm.jpg
    P1000383sm.jpg