What's new
What's new

Halco head hat.

dundeeshopnut

Hot Rolled
I know this is a LOOOONG shot but does anybody here have the aluminum "dust cap" that goes on a Halco vertical head that they would like to part with? I've only seen bad pics of one so have no real help as to photos that are not already published. Thanks, Merrill

Would any kind soul here happen to have the "hat" in question and be able to post some closeup photos? I for one would love to see what it actually looks like and how easily it could be reproduced,,if nothing else, just for shi#s and giggles.

I presume you are talking about the hat type cover that was over the motor.
I took a look at one of your earlier pictures to see what your motor looked like .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f19/302401d1603156844-victoria-u2-004.jpg
I'm thinking that the attachment may not have always come with that type of a top .
It would possibly depend on the motor supplied or added later .
I have seen that type of cover above some motors on older Milrite mills.
Some had none and the newer ones had fan cooled motors with the usual open type of cover we see on those.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_qvtD_WKCvXyEqmLXAcIUKU9WdI19MQzqdw&usqp=CAU
I tried a couple of searches and it would appear that these are referred to as motor drip covers.
Electric motor drip cover - Google Search
Maybe you can look though some of the electric motor parts lists and find one that is a suitable size for your motor .

I assume my motor had a dust cover as is pictured on the info on the lathes co. UK website or like Halcohead had but I could be wrong. I could try to beat one out of an aluminum pie plate but the contour around the wiring box presents a problem.

I missed the one on Tony's site.
If there is any identification on your motor as to make or model you might get lucky and find a parts reference list or part number for the drip cover and then look for a used part on line.
It would probably have to go by the motor design or frame number since the same motor may have been used for many applications .
It would be a lot of work to hammer a drip cover out or make form a block and die out of wood to form it on a hydraulic press .

Thank you for all the kind replies. Making a functional dust cover out of an old skillet or hubcap is certainly in my wheelhouse. Procuring an ORIGINAL though, is way cooler and NO I am not anal retentive.

Back