What's new
What's new

Hall & Son Valve and Seat Grinder

Jim Christie

Titanium
I Seem to remember a thread posted here not long ago but I can’t remember the title something like “Unknown Lathe “or “What is This “but I cant seem to find it now,
If I remember it looked something like this Hall and Son Valve and Seat Grinder( more like cutter)
That I found here
The locomotive engineer

If my memory is playing tricks on me I think it is still an uncommon tool and maybe there is a surviving example out there somewhere.
Book Link
The locomotive engineer : Hill, John A. (John Alexander), 1858-1916 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Regards,
Jim

Attachments

• Hall and son Valve and Seat Grinder locomotiveengine14hill_0615.jpg
    Hall and son Valve and Seat Grinder locomotiveengine14hill_0615.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,035
I wonder if this company later became Hall-Toledo, which made seat and valve grinding equipment for internal combustion engines.

Hall-Toledo was at one time Waterbury-hall, i had opportunity to talk to them Hall-Toledo and was informed by them.
Very nice people and their valve seat grinders are top notch they have what is called point of contact grind finished surfaces are mirror like.
if i remember correctly the wheel spins at 3000 rpm and oscillates at 20 rpm not real sure, but she told me the model that replaced my model was $8,000
very pricey batw

I Seem to remember a thread posted here not long ago but I can’t remember the title something like “Unknown Lathe “or “What is This “but I cant seem to find it now,
If I remember it looked something like this Hall and Son Valve and Seat Grinder( more like cutter)
That I found here
The locomotive engineer

If my memory is playing tricks on me I think it is still an uncommon tool and maybe there is a surviving example out there somewhere.
Book Link
The locomotive engineer : Hill, John A. (John Alexander), 1858-1916 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Regards,
Jim

Reviving this from the dead, because that we me! I still have it in storage, but I have taken some more recent pics. It looks like this was retrofitted with a newer chuck at some time and the hand wheel is gone. Still not sure what to do with it besides making a cool wall mounted table/light or something. Local tool museum is uninterested. Thanks for posting the publication!

20181002_174703.jpg
20181002_174711.jpg
20181002_174725.jpg
20181002_174735.jpg

Madmaverick,
Thanks for sharing your pictures .
I had forgotten all about this thread.
Maybe someone new will see it and offer some suggestions as to what it could be done with it .
Many museums are struggling to maintain the collections they already have and can’t always acquire more items .
Perhaps some railway museum that has a display of railway shop tools might be interested but without some of the associated tooling it would make it rather difficult to make a display to demonstrate how it was used .
Maybe someone else will have one missing some of the parts yours has so they could be combined to form a complete or near complete unit.
Jim

For now it's just going to sit in my storage unit with the rest of the old tools. There is a railroad museum not far from here, so I will message them about it. If someone was interested in restoring it or displaying it, I would rather it go to them. But it would also be a cool industrial decoration when I run out of other furniture projects to build.

Thanks for posting the link. Ive added that to the file I keep on it.

If you don’t have anything in your collection perhaps you may be able to find a good sized old valve body and stem with seating surfaces that this machine would have been used to resurface to give a better idea of its use.
I don’t know a lot about valves so maybe someone else will offer some suggestions.
At one time I picked up an electric Sioux valve seat grinder of the type used on automotive engines that had some very large stones with it and I was told that if it wasn’t for large diesel engines it may have been used for seating valves for air or water and other gases or liquids in industrial processes .
I sold it to someone who wanted to use it for automotive use and already had the stones for that work .
There is another thread about other valve seating machines here one of them is somewhat like yours but of a different brand.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...eating-tool-kits-346911/?highlight=Valve+Seat

Regards,
Jim

Back