What's new
What's new

Hamilton Lathe snatched from the scraper, litterally..

cb1

Cast Iron
So, went to an equipment auction this weekend Fri-Sat. What I needed (dump truck box) went early Friday morning, had to wait for the lathe until the end on Saturday. But I think it was worth it.

The last part of the auction is junk section. The scrap man was buying every thing no one was bidding on. He bid $100 and I bid $125 and he stopped and I got this lathe. My only regret was I didnt get the metal shaper that was by it. He paid $100.00 for it. Not sure I would have used it, but at least I would have saved it.

I havent got it home yet as the line for pickup was around the auction one and a half times. I will get it later this week, when I can take time and care.

All I know for sure is that it is a Hamilton. Will post update when I get her in the shop.

Thanks,

cb120160429_142446.jpg20160429_142512.jpg20160429_142655.jpg20160429_142616.jpg20160429_142525.jpg

Wow, $125? What a score! That's a big brawny lathe, too! Have you gotten much of an idea what kind of shape it's in?
It would have been hard for me not to buy the shaper, too, although like you it would have been just on principle.

Salem,

It has been repowered with a single phase motor and a transmission. It is being run be 3 v-belts on the largest flat pulley. I dont have a good picture of that, but will post later after I get her home.

cb1

20160429_142556.jpg20160429_142502.jpg

The drop in scrap price has saved some old iron from a horrible fate. Good save.

The shaper interests me, because of the "clutch" that appears to be fabricated.......looks like it might be a simple in/out type with just notches or dogs to engage........wonder how well it works, the speed might be low enough to work decent.
The vice on it is well worth the price of purchase.

I would guess this the lathe which the dough-boys in WWI were fighting to keep turning.

A worthy save which will look much better in your shop than as a Toyota Corolla parked up the street.

I hope you look as good when you're a hundred years old. Better yet if you work as well.

Probably delivered on the back of a Mack Bulldog truck.

mack03.jpg

Joe in NH

The Hamilton is a very unique lathe. I used one once, and always remembered that "revolver" type of quick change gearing. You have preserved a unique old machine tool, for sure. It looks like it is "plug and play", not outside long enough to wind up heavily rusted, not dropped or damaged with nothing busted, missing, or brazed back together. Good luck with that lathe !

Joe in NH:
No disrespect: the Mack you have pictured is one of the lighter models, and post WWI if I am not mistaken. It has been retrofitted with pneumatic tires, so probably was in use way longer than most trucks these days. The "bell shaped" grayish area on the side of the half cab has the original Mack builder's plate. It included a picture of a fierce British Bulldog chewing up a book. Somewhere on that engraving were the words "competitor's specifications".

The truck that first earned the name "Bulldog" and made Mack's name in WWI was the old AC model. This truck had a sloped hood, and had the radiator set in the cowling, between the driver and the engine. The AC series were much heavier duty trucks, and came out of the factory with solid rubber tires. They were used in large numbers by the Allied forces in WWI. Supposedly, the fact that the hood sloped down and the truck had a kind of "heavy stance" to it and kept slogging along in mud and all else led the British soldiers to refer to them as "bulldogs".

A machinery mover would use an AC series Mack, but he'd have a "beavertail" or down-slope on the tail of the bed. Mounted just abaft of the cab would be a PTO driven capstan type of winch. Using hemp rope snubbed around the capstan, along with rollers, hardwood planks, wood blocking and hardwood low horses, the oldtime machinery movers would pull machine tools up onto the truck bed. Using "track jacks" (ratchet type mechanical jacks) if a machine was too heavy to raise with pinch bars, the oldtime machinery movers would first get the machine tool onto skid timbers. The old master riggers and machinery movers would accomplish some amazing feats with very simple means and an old Bulldog Mack with a capstan winch. As a kid and young man, I saw the oldtime machinery movers in NYC using trucks that were then at least 25 years old. Those guys could waltz a machine tool, safe, printing press or baby grand piano in or out of the tightest of places.

I think we are a bit spoiled nowadays, having the wonderful inventions of hydraulics, torque converters, automatic transmissions, and similar to make moving a machine tool a lot easier. The oldtimers who drove those Bulldog Macks with the "half cabs" could not imagine loading a machine tool on a modern tilt bed truck, using easily operated hydraulics. They'd be thinking they went to heaven, sitting in a quiet modern truck cab with cushy seat, power assisted braking (or airbrakes), heat or air conditioning, and at least a synchromesh transmission if not an automatic. Add power steering and a "self starter", and those guys would think they were on a joyride of rest cure. The old Hamilton lathe probably was shipped via rail from the Hamilton plant, on trains drawn by steam locomotives. Maybe it arrived at the original owner's plant on the owner's rail siding. Maybe the owner got the word the lathe was taken off a boxcar at the railhead and was sitting awaiting pickup. That is when the lathe might have taken its ride on the Bulldog Mack, or maybe even a horse-drawn dray.

The men who designed and built that lathe and the company they worked for have long passed from this life. The trains and that way of life are gone as well as the old Bulldog Macks. The Hamilton Lathe is the survivor. It has survived quite well, and will likely give another hundred or so years of good service with anything like reasonable care.

Not that we should hijack the Hamilton thread, but I am pretty sure the Mack is an AB which was mostly contemporary with the AC but started production a couple of years earlier (1914), so it could qualify for WW1 if it's an early one. I believe many had factory-supplied pneumatic tires.

Yes, not to get too far off track.. I agree about the AB Mack being around the same general time as the heavier AC. And both could be had with pneumatic tires, perhaps not at first(I'm not sure) but for sure in later years they could be.
I once owned a 1924 model AC Mack with factory 20" pneumatic tires. The sales literature I have for the AC also covers the smaller AB.

Can someone please explain the quick change gear box? I thought it looked odd/unusual. Is there perhaps a patent drawing we could see?

I think the description called above an AB.

At my university, they frequently haul out an AC (Joe described it to a "T") which, IIRC looks like this.

ac_ap_military_6625.jpg

It makes a startling reminder during home football games.

Joe in NH

Very nice lathe,you have done posterity a favour. I just hope the interest will be there. I've been places where later on I wish I'd saved this or that as well,but at the time you feel you've got enough on your plate. Been there many times.

A most unusual lathe,the gearbox is a Flather design according to one of my books.Copes book puts it at about 1903.Apparently it has a large range of threads and feeds.You have rescued a rare machine.

The "revolver" looking device is the gearbox selector mechanism? Interesting. From what I can work out from the description and drawings it almost seems like a planetary gear set design rather than the compound and "cone" setup. Very cool.

I will be picking it up this week, and will post a better pic of the motor/belt drive. And I hope to find the serial number and post a pic of that also. This lathe will go great with the drill press I picked up earlier this spring (its in another post of mine). Appearently, I have a early 1900's theme going on. Might have to get rid of my Clausing Dual because its "too new".

Thanks for all the comments,

cb1

That looks like an excellent lathe. It appears to be a newer (and better kept) model than the one I recently worked on as the change gears on the lead screw seem to have been changed into a secondary gear box for all three gears to remain in position and selected by use of a selection lever. Be aware that no felts were found in the Hamilton I worked on, so keep pouring the oil into it while it is in use.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...lathe-refurb-314354/?highlight=hamilton+lathe

Oil is good.

Need to find a manual on how to run it, ha, ha...

I did read your refurb post and enjoyed the pictures.

I may have a few questions for you and the guys when I dig into it, probably later this fall. Planting time now.

Thanks,

cb1

Back