What's new
What's new

Hand stamped Starrett question.

BillT289

Plastic
Covid 19 home time has caused me to finally go through my junk boxes and this question has pushed me to join this forum. I have this protractor head that is hand stamped "Starrett No. 12" the finish machining is kind of rough so I had always thought it a fake. A closer look has convinced me it's a real Starrett. It's identical in every respect to a nice No. 12 on EBay. Right down to a casting anomaly right over the logo in the first set of pictures.
The index "0"s on the frame are also hand stamped.
Last pic the hand stamped "Starrett No.12"
Is this a reject that someone smuggled out, along with a good turret? Has anyone seen any other examples of hand stamping on a Starrett.?

Attachments

• P2 2.jpg
    P2 2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 113
  • P1 2.jpg
    P1 2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 111
  • P1 1.jpg
    P1 1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 106
I'm not sure why you think this may be hand-stamped.

It looks like an typical No.12 to me.

Thanks for the answers. I had always thought of Starrett as having a higher standard of workmanship. Didn't look at enough examples.

The lettering is of unequal depth and appears to me to be slightly out of line; maybe that's just the difference in depth. It's also not quite parallel to the bottom of the protractor(This seems to be common in the examples I just looked at)P1 7.jpgP1 9.jpgP1 8.jpg. The misaligned zeros on the index mark seems to be more rare

Back