What's new
What's new

Hardinge BB2V for sale - Boston area

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I have a pretty nice Hardinge BB2V vertical mill that needs to go. This is a small one,the tray is 24x29 inches, the table is 3.25 x 12, same as a Hardinge split bed lathe, so it'll take Hardinge 2nd op lathe tooling.

I got it 5 or 10 years back, it looks like someone started a motor swap and didn't finish it. The original motor is sitting loosely in the base, but it's there. I think all of the drive parts are there. This takes a round section belt, there is one there, it's in one circular piece but not exactly like new. It has 5 collets in good condition.

The mill itself is pretty nice. The original frosting isn't visible but neither is any real wear. It's pretty dirty in the pics because it's covered with Boshield. I don't have the round covers that go on the sides of the head, but besides that I don't know of anything else that's missing, although not having attached the whole drive system I can't be sure. Nothing obvious anyway.

$1000/bo, Somerville, MA.

I just got an offer on my house so I (A) have to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and (B) don't have any spare time at all. This is not one I want to get rid of, so don't ask me to ship it unless all I have to do is wheel it outside to your truck that will be there on time. I do not have time to pallet/pack/crate it, so don't even ask unless you're willing to at least double the price.

You can come look at it as long as you come with cash in your pocket. I don't mean to sound cranky, I usually like chatting about machine tools but I just don't have the time right now. If the idea of hooking up a drive system that has some parts missing is intimidating then this is not the machine for you.
bb2v-1.jpgbb2v-2.jpg

I have a pretty nice Hardinge BB2V vertical mill that needs to go. This is a small one,the tray is 24x29 inches, the table is 3.25 x 12, same as a Hardinge split bed lathe, so it'll take Hardinge 2nd op lathe tooling.

I got it 5 or 10 years back, it looks like someone started a motor swap and didn't finish it. The original motor is sitting loosely in the base, but it's there. I think all of the drive parts are there. This takes a round section belt, there is one there, it's in one circular piece but not exactly like new. It has 5 collets in good condition.

The mill itself is pretty nice. The original frosting isn't visible but neither is any real wear. It's pretty dirty in the pics because it's covered with Boshield. I don't have the round covers that go on the sides of the head, but besides that I don't know of anything else that's missing, although not having attached the whole drive system I can't be sure. Nothing obvious anyway.

$1000/bo, Somerville, MA.

I just got an offer on my house so I (A) have to get rid of a bunch of stuff, and (B) don't have any spare time at all. This is not one I want to get rid of, so don't ask me to ship it unless all I have to do is wheel it outside to your truck that will be there on time. I do not have time to pallet/pack/crate it, so don't even ask unless you're willing to at least double the price.

You can come look at it as long as you come with cash in your pocket. I don't mean to sound cranky, I usually like chatting about machine tools but I just don't have the time right now. If the idea of hooking up a drive system that has some parts missing is intimidating then this is not the machine for you.
View attachment 335266View attachment 335267

Did that come from Wisconsin ? That looks an awfull lot like the one I used to own, due to the same color. Mine had the original Hardinge vise and seeing that you are in Mass and lacks the vise it is probably not the same machine.

Below machine was mine. I sent pics of it to Tony's lathes site and he has it featured there. Bought mine from a PM member in 2005 or 2006 , who had it professionally restored.

See more pics of mine at Tony's below
Hardinge "Cataract" Millers MD3, MD4, MD5, BB4, BB2V

I don't have mine anymore because brother-in-law threw it away while I was out of the country after dad passed away.

Definitely NOT Spud's old mill - His had the horizontal bar through the head, and the one in Boston does not.

I have a box of new and used Hardinge 2VB collets to fit that mill. I probably have sizes not included with the mill, and some other odds and ends of tooling for it.

Hardinge stamped the serial number for this model on one of the round steel cover plates for the idler pulleys in the head. Too bad it is missing. The steel cabinet was first used around 1940, but they made these until around 1955.

I cannot imagine what was meant by, "the table is 3.25 x 12, same as a Hardinge split bed lathe, so it'll take Hardinge 2nd op lathe tooling." The table is that size, but the T-slots are nothing like a lathe attachment. The center T-slot is V-shaped and the mill tooling items have a mating key. Lathe tooling will not fit or be useful if altered to fit.

These mills have heads that are easily removed and the horizontal BB4 mills use heads that are very much like some Hardinge lathe heads. It would be possible to convert the mill to horizontal if the right sort of lathe head could be found and the countershaft pulley changed to V-belt. But horizontal mills are a lot easier to find than the verticals.

Larry

I cannot imagine what was meant by, "the table is 3.25 x 12, same as a Hardinge split bed lathe, so it'll take Hardinge 2nd op lathe tooling." The table is that size, but the T-slots are nothing like a lathe attachment. The center T-slot is V-shaped and the mill tooling items have a mating key. Lathe tooling will not fit or be useful if altered to fit.

Larry

I stand corrected. It's pretty obvious, my pictures even show that it doesn't have the reverse dovetail table.

Back