Hardinge Bros. Cataract Bench Lathe on Craig’s List
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Hardinge Bros. Cataract Bench Lathe on Craig’s List

Hardinge Bros. Cataract Bench Lathe
    This is my Lathe ad. Thought I would get some more exposure and advice ...

Hardinge Cataract Bench Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Ted
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 93d46dea-2417-45dd-a977-cf843054cdac.jpg   a31890ae-6ca1-402d-94b5-363e7065c8dd.jpg   0a9c3d2b-7e79-43be-80a4-374cb5129319.jpg   738cd342-01ed-4f91-abff-970b4cd74928.jpg   ffe8f5bf-2f26-49ce-a055-ff6c5edc7264.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Built in 1935. The serial number portion "57-" just means 5C collets and 7" swing. Is there another number on the right end of the bed?

I suspect the V-belt grooves in the pulley are a later addition.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    Built in 1935. The serial number portion "57-" just means 5C collets and 7" swing. Is there another number on the right end of the bed?

I suspect the V-belt grooves in the pulley are a later addition.

Larry
    Thanks, Larry. I was hoping you would reply
    All I can see on the right end of the bed is the Hardinge Bros. logo stamp

The picture looks good on my computer. After the upload sizes it, not so good

Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ba37a8c5-fe61-499c-86cc-09ee420ca4de.jpg   7859884a-2171-49d9-ab89-f55d4e32a93f.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    Hardinge Bros. Cataract Bench Lathe
    This is my Lathe ad. Thought I would get some more exposure and advice ...

Hardinge Cataract Bench Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

Ted
    [email protected]
    I have not gotten any reposes to my ad on Craigs list or on PM
    Is this machine not desirable???
    Any advice ???

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SBLatheman View Post
    I have not gotten any reposes to my ad on Craigs list or on PM
    Is this machine not desirable???
    Any advice ???
    It may be desirable to someone (it is a Hardinge after all), but it's not special. It has only the most pedestrian of accessories: chuck, face plate, draw bar with no collets. It's got minor rust staining, so it's been sitting around for a while. It doesn't have a motor attached, so it can't be started and run. You don't say anything about how well it runs, so I'm guessing you haven't run it in the time you've owned it. So it's a project lathe with no indication of how useful it'll be after someone's put some work into it.

My advice is drop the price to $250 and be willing to take $200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sent a PM regarding the machine although, being in MA, the shipping would make it difficult to take the whole thing.

I agree with Tom's assessment although that doesn't mean someone wouldn't purchase it for the asking price.

I paid $500 for a non-modified similar machine many years ago that had the period correct countershaft and motor, a full set of American collets, and had been run recently. I still use it every day.

The 7" machines are tricky to find accessories for. and when you do find them they are usually more expensive than their 9" counterparts. I've had to make many of the things I don't expect to ever find for mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
    I sent a PM regarding the machine although, being in MA, the shipping would make it difficult to take the whole thing.

I agree with Tom's assessment although that doesn't mean someone wouldn't purchase it for the asking price.

I paid $500 for a non-modified similar machine many years ago that had the period correct countershaft and motor, a full set of American collets, and had been run recently. I still use it every day.

The 7" machines are tricky to find accessories for. and when you do find them they are usually more expensive than their 9" counterparts. I've had to make many of the things I don't expect to ever find for mine.
    I have not received a PM from you...please send an email
    Ted
    [email protected]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it is fairly reasonably priced though maybe at the top end. Maybe you could add a motor with the needed adapters/belts/etc such that you're selling a running lathe. Add "Turn Key" "Ready to run" "Can test before purchase" etc to the ad and then keep the price the same. You've probably got a motor laying around and some scrap to make the adapter so not much to lose. I'd also wait. The power hacksaw I bought from a guy had been for sale on CL for 5 months. I didn't see it because I wasn't in the SC area and I only saw it because I was going on a trip in that area and thought to search CL before I went. Someone wants that lathe, just gotta wait until they find it and make it an absolute no brainer... it works, it can be tested, turn key package, etc, etc. You should add "vintage", "metal" and "antique" to the listing as those are words I generally search for.

Oh NO... I just realized I gave out the secrets to trapping me into buying more old iron!!! How can I delete

9. Likes SBLatheman, SouthBendModel34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RCPDesigns View Post
    You should add "vintage", "metal" and "antique" to the listing as those are words I generally search for.

Oh NO... I just realized I gave out the secrets to trapping me into buying more old iron!!! How can I delete
    I took your advise and added the buss words. I dont know if that did it, but I started getting lots of inquires. I sold the machine this morning
    Thanks,
    Ted

11. Likes SouthBendModel34, RCPDesigns liked this post