What's new
What's new

Harrison L6 jigsaw

chrismpw

Plastic
Hi folks

I have been given (in kit form) a 1965 Harrison L6. There are a few bits broken, and a few bits missing that I'm going to have to make. It's been an absolute blast :skep: making the splined gear shaft for the norton gearbox. Not really a blast, as it's taken three attempts and around 6 solid days work! Thank the gods for retirement is all I can say.:D

I'm appealing for photos / diagrams showing how both the feed bar and the crossfeed power shaft attach to and interact with the the gear box. I'm going to have to make the power feed shaft, but have no idea how it will pick up its rotation from the gear box. The feed shaftoutput from the gearbox looks to have a castellated end, but I have nothing to go on about how it mates with the actual shaft.

Any help / diagrams appreciated.

Cheers for that. But what does such a thing look like?

the output looks to me like a collar with a V shaped peak along the shaft. Am I to assume that what you describe is a V shaped hollow that fits to that shape? To my mind that would allow it to cam out, pushing the bar out, and allow slip in an overload. If this is the case it would be an easy make.

Am I warm?

Quasi
Thanks for your help with this, I've been able to make the union/dog and spring drive and feed shaft. I used the valve spring from my '69 MG Midget! (A spare, obviously!!)

I've had the lathe working, having made a 30 tooth gear to complete the power train, and now have power crossfeed as well as longitudinal feed.

As you have experience of this lathe, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little more.

As I look at the apron and carriage, I'm trying to work out how the carriage lock should be. The parts are totally missing, and I see two half inch (ish) bolt holes, on the top of the carriage, one either side of the feed screw mechanism, which look likely to be involved. The one on the left has a chrome rounded collar.

I'm sure the mechanism must be fairly simple - but with no parts I'm unsure where to start. Can't see anything that helps on the schematic either.

Cheers
Chris

Quasi
Thanks for your help with this, I've been able to make the union/dog and spring drive and feed shaft. I used the valve spring from my '69 MG Midget! (A spare, obviously!!)

I've had the lathe working, having made a 30 tooth gear to complete the power train, and now have power crossfeed as well as longitudinal feed.

As you have experience of this lathe, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little more.

As I look at the apron and carriage, I'm trying to work out how the carriage lock should be. The parts are totally missing, and I see two half inch (ish) bolt holes, on the top of the carriage, one either side of the feed screw mechanism, which look likely to be involved. The one on the left has a chrome rounded collar.

I'm sure the mechanism must be fairly simple - but with no parts I'm unsure where to start. Can't see anything that helps on the schematic either.

Cheers
Chris

the one on the left with the chrome collar is the front left hold down for the carriage. It attaches to a stepped plate that slides along under the bottom of the bed. The one on the right should be close to the cross slide, it is the right hold down and doubles as the carriage lock. It uses the same sliding plate arrangement. Both bolts are 3/8 diameter, Whitworth thread. I will look on the schematics I sent and see if I can give you parts numbers. Bottom plates are # 53 and 52.

I can't see the bolts in the schematics either but if you go to youtube, this man has a Harrison 140 which is a metric L5A. You can see the bolts on his lathe videos, the later ones he has a Boxford in his earlier video's. doubleboost
- YouTube

Back