Hawker hurricane mark xii

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
Bonhams is UK based auction house with a problem---no success is finding
a new owner for an exquisite Hawker Hurricane

the aircraft has been the centerpiece of at least two auctions with a no sale
on both

a nicely produced promotional video highlights the aircarft---and if you find
a buyer Bonhams will likely share a finders fee :)

Bonhams : 1942 Hawker Hurricane Mark XIIA

Attachments

• 11hh.JPG
    11hh.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,210
"the aircraft has been the centerpiece of at least two auctions with a no sale
on both"

Just like Ebay, you can ask whatever you want... what somebody will pay for it is a totally different matter. I'd imagine they are asking a ridiculous amount of money for it. It is a rare plane, totally understand that, but rare and valuable are not necessarily hand in hand. A P-51 is not rare, but is probably far more valuable than this Hurricane.

"the aircraft has been the centerpiece of at least two auctions with a no sale
on both"

Just like Ebay, you can ask whatever you want... what somebody will pay for it is a totally different matter. I'd imagine they are asking a ridiculous amount of money for it. It is a rare plane, totally understand that, but rare and valuable are not necessarily hand in hand. A P-51 is not rare, but is probably far more valuable than this Hurricane.

It wasn't more valuable in 1940 Mike. Regards Tyrone.

I couldn't afford the complete Hurricane so I settled for the spade control grip :D

DSCN4558.jpg

That was from 2012 it appears. Wow, only made it to 1.2 million GBP, which is just over $2M USD. Expectation was 1.7+ GBP - Plus buyers premium and tax in the UK. Anyone know what that would have amounted to? If you advertised you were looking for a flyer like that in the US for $2M I'm thinking you would have your pick. One was recently sold out of Niagara Falls, Canada - was asking $1.2M. Of course you have to factor in the over-the-top restoration factor in, but still...

Here are some links from the Vintage wings of Canada the first 2 are for their Hurricanes
The Donald ?Bunny? McLarty Hawker Hurricane Mk IV > Vintage Wings of Canada[iframes]/0/

The F/O William Lidstone McKnight Hawker Hurricane XII > Vintage Wings of Canada
Some other vintage wings related stories you might like
Vintage Wings of Canada > Stories > Events
I also noticed this story about the up coming visit of the B 17 Sentimental Journey this July .
Letters From Home ? The B-17 in the RCAF > Vintage Wings of Canada

Regards,
Jim

Here is a Link to a Blog post with more photos an information about the Canadian Car and Foundry Plant in Thunder Bay Ontario mentioned earlier that built not only the Hurricane but the Curtiss SBW Helldiver
Canadian Car & Foundry and the Curtiss SBW Helldiver | CANAV Books Blog
Scrolling Down I found .
Some Drop Forging Presses at work here
https://canavbooks.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/blog-14-ccf-sbw-1-helldiver-671-copy.jpg
Some 16” Cincinnati Heavy Duty Shapers at work here as well as some cylindrical grinders and a couple of Cincinnati # 2 Tool and Cutter grinders one set up for internal grinding if you click to enlarge there is lots going on .
https://canavbooks.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/blog-16-cf-sbw-1-helldiver-777-copy.jpg
Regards,
Jim

I hope I'm not taking this thread too far askew.
I've posted before about my Dad working at the Smithsonian Air Museum as a restorer.
Here he is on the right with a Curtiss SB2C-5 Hell Diver.
This is at the Suitland Annex, now the Paul Garber Facility, in the 50's.

I went to the NASM site and looked up this Helldiver. It says---
"On May 31, 1948, the airplane was dropped from the Navy inventory and set aside for the National Air Museum. It was flown to Norfolk on March 2, 1949, given preservative treatment, and placed in a metal storage container. At that time, the Navy used the Helldiver for a local display and painted in the three- tone camouflage scheme, a pattern which was already outdated prior to the date the aircraft was manufactured."

If you look closely you can see the camo patterns on the tail and the wings.
And to be accurate, I wrote above, the picture was in the 1950's. The NASM bio for this plane states it was put in the collection September 1960. The picture with leaves on the trees must be right after they got it, because my Dad died in April 1961.

At the NASM site I searched "restoration shop" and there are a few pictures of my Dad there. They date the pictures February 1962. That must be when they developed the film because it sure wasn't when they were taken.

Attachments

• Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver (2).jpg
    Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver (2).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
There's just something really compelling about the sound of an aircraft with a geared re-drive going close overhead at speed.

smt

Late summer 1984 I was sitting in the pit lane at Road Atlanta with the GTP car all warmed up (Lucas injected Small Block Chevy) waiting for the driver. He made his appearance about 50' overhead, his P 51 wide open, we never heard it coming but we damn sure heard it overhead and going away. Lovely sound that Merlin.

I was in the heavy machine shop one day when I heard a noise over the sound of the machines. Running outside onto the car park and I saw " The Battle Of Britain " flight coming over really low on their way to a nearby air show at Barton Aerodrome ! Spitfire, Hurricane and a Lancaster. 6 Merlins, the noise was deafening.

Regards Tyrone.

Back