What's new
What's new

HBM R.S. Stokvis & Fils

dkmc

Diamond
I have recently purchased this Boring Mill.
It is a R. S. Stokvis & Fils, I for sure have never heard of the brand before, and
will be surprised if anyone on the forum has. Unless by coincidence they worked in
the shop where this one was. I'm guessing I'm not going to find any parts for this
on EBAY or Walmart...not even in the auto care isle...
;)

The model is a AFMF 80. The manual I have is sparse, more like a sales brochure.
Overall dimensions as follows:
17' X 8'3" X 8'5" LXWXH
35.5 X 44.25 Table working area in inches
3-1/8 Spindle Dia
MT #5 taper
Seems odd that the machine supposedly was built in Belgium? but the manual
lists dimensions and travels in inches, and then shows thread cutting ability in Metric and Whitworth.

I've re-read the HBM in Charlotte thread with much increased interest, and appreciate
the info on spindle tapers posted there.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/hbm-charlotte-281924/

There is NO tooling included, and no "tail stock" or "outboard support", whatever it's called. although the base for it is parked at the end of the ways......a start anyway!
As things, go the first job I do on it will require the outboard support, and I'll have to go to great lengths and effort to fab something, never to use it on another job again....lol.
I am now keen to locate some spindle tooling, and a nice big, (cheap), angle plate would be great!

I also found this Bolton Emerson Americas: Stokvis Edera | Lussier Photography
20100707_rtl5046_hdr.jpg

dkmc --

I'll concur with Tyrone Shoelaces on this; the "FG" on the column in your second picture is identical to the "FG" I've seen on Forges de Gilly HBMs of "a certain age". The "FG" images in the attached links are slightly obstructed, but I think enough shows for you to make your own comparison:

1 FORGES DE GILLY AFMF100, 100, 1025 - Machine Tools - Second hand machinery - Wotol.com

https://www.apexauctions.co.uk/auction/itemDetails.htm?lotId=88735 (Picture 2)

I'll go with the riveted-on tag being a dealer's tag.

John

Adding a bit more: A search engine turns up R K Stokvis and Sons as a British company, while the Dutch wikipedia has more information about the company that I think you'll find interesting. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.S._Stokvis

7 posts, and learning a LOT!
Thanks to all!

I must add.......that large red FG on the column did make me wonder...
As for those in the posted links.......all with their bases for the outboard supports,but no mention or
picture of the upright component!

Last edited:
Hi dkmc, it's not usual to find the outboard support missing. If the support isn't being used regularly it can be a handicap. On big machines that need to be loaded by the overhead crane it can get in the way and is therefore prone to collision damage. Then it gets removed and put in a corner under a small sheet somewhere.
When the machine gets sold on the outboard support often gets left behind.

Good luck with the search for the line boring bars. If I had a £5.00 note for every one I've seen thrown in the skip ( dumpster ) I'd be pretty wealthy.

Regards Tyrone.

Hi dkmc, look on the bright side. You've got a built in facing slide. That's a great asset on any Hor bore.

Regards, Tyrone.

I agree with you completely Tyrone, and was thinking about that.
I wonder why other brands do not include the feature?
But I am really glad that after years of various levels of interest and searching,
the one found and coming home to roost -has- that capability.

Obviously when you have a machine with a spindle running within a spindle as in a built in facing slide machine there are compromises to be made. A spindle only machine will normally have a better milling performance than a built in facing slide machine.

Given that I'd always have a built in facing slide machine over a spindle only machine for normal jobbing shop work.

Regards Tyrone.

We do all small work but I don't know what it is about me that I have this constant desire to go big. I just love the idea of ripping into a 1/4 deep cut and see the chips springing off the tool and piling up. The sounds and smells of heavy iron being turned into the things we sell just make me feel like what we do is special, and it is.
My first real job in a factory was back in the early 80's and they had just installed a huge Mazak horizontal. That machine would produce chips the size of golf balls. I was mesmerized by it and would hang around during my lunch brake just to watch it cut castings.

I wish you the best of luck with your new mill.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Thank you Sir.

Big work:
I have a small Bullard (24") that sat for years, and almost got scrapped when scrap was high.
(I would still be kicking myself if I sent it off).
Along came a couple customers, and the lowly...lonely Bullard became the
star of the show of sorts. And the 2 Gisholt Turret Lathes from 1944 had their days again as well.
Larger pieces and looser tolerances...with some specialized repair type work too.
It was fun really.
Admittedly, things have gone quiet with that work now.
But I bought the Gilly right, and I feel there will come a time when it has it's day too.
Probably more useful than the Bullard.

We do all small work but I don't know what it is about me that I have this constant desire to go big. I just love the idea of ripping into a 1/4 deep cut and see the chips springing off the tool and piling up. The sounds and smells of heavy iron being turned into the things we sell just make me feel like what we do is special, and it is.
My first real job in a factory was back in the early 80's and they had just installed a huge Mazak horizontal. That machine would produce chips the size of golf balls. I was mesmerized by it and would hang around during my lunch brake just to watch it cut castings.

I wish you the best of luck with your new mill.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

I am (also) intrigued with the idea of using the machine as a large, light duty lathe. For that, a tail stock-outboard support would be required.
I have been asked in the past to turn down the OD of pipe, in the 24-36" size range.
A turn of 10-12" length on the end of a 4' or 6' piece. Maybe .180-.250 step down in the diameter or so.
I wonder how feasible this idea is?

...I have this 16" 3 jaw.....it's currently a D type mount.......hum...

EDIT
Wish I could change the title of this thread to the real name of the machine...now that I know it (thanks to members posts here).
But the dealer name and title is set forever in eternity I guess.

Update:

It arrived one week ago. All I've had time for is to unload it, coat it with oil and
tarp it.

The neighbors generously allow me to play with their large forklift.
That's OK, I've administered a machining fix for it a time or too as well.
One hand washes the other...as they say.

I -almost- didn't bring the fork extensions with it...and I would have been in trouble.
Note to self: ALWAYS bring the fork extensions no matter if you think you need them or not!

This was not like this in the photos shown in the advertizement, but it WAS like this when I went to look at the machine. I looked but not close, I think it may be
flat glass....I hope!

Closer look at the facing head....in the sunlight.

I am excited to have this new toy...er....tool...
(to be continued)

Back