What's new
What's new

Heald 72a grinder going to scrap. Need parts?

pipemann

Aluminum
This is going to the scrapper in a couple of weeks.
Anyone need parts? Let me know. I'm thinking of pulling off the
grinder spindle assembly and faceplate for myself.

What type of grinder is this ID OD? It also has some
hydraulics in it.
Found similar but not the same units in a search of
of the site. Thanks Bob

PICT0017-2.jpg
[/IMG]

PICT0021-3.jpg
[/IMG]

PICT0018-2.jpg
[/IMG]

72A is Universal ID. You can see work head swivels and is cross sliding. Some had hollow spindles. You could stick a milling machine spindle in one with a big enough spindle hole and grind the taper in it. Hydraulics stroke the wheel head.

One of these came with a assortment of Red Head grinding spindles, each one of which had an assortment of quills.

Dumb to scrap it.

John Oder

The 72A could be used to do both ID or OD, depending on set up or tooling.

A great machine and Heald sold them by the thousands for a long time.

A shame.

Dave

Yes it a shame and Dumb thats why I posted and hoped someone would say No stop don't do that I want it! Or at least that will make my machine whole.
If I had all kind a money and space I'd give it a foster home.
What does this weigh the owner says really its heavy it took everything a Gradeall had to lift it? I'm thinking 5-6 K.
Thanks Bob Morris

No Stop

You said you were hoping someone said it.

The "red head" spindles have value and can be sold seperately. I have a couple of sources for you.

I will furnish you with an exact weight in the morning.

My guess is that a local used machinery dealer might give more than scrap at this particular time. Might be worth a call or two.

Tom
www.wigglesworth.com

This machinist stuff is a recent study for me; a few years ago a buddy was cleaning out an outbuilding that had housed his father's machine shop.

There was a Heald in there, 5,000 pounds worth.

I had an interest in the building, but not an interest in doing tons of research and acting as his broker.

I couldn't find a bit of information on the model in question. Google had perhaps one or two hits.

It was old, really old, and really grimy. His father specialized in making live centers, so how long ago would that have been profitable?

We opened up a side of the building, and winched it onto my trailer. Omnisource is about 7 blocks away.

The son wasn't capable of making phone calls, doing Internet research, etc. and I couldn't find much on Heald.

These items don't show up on ebay much, do they?

Heald closed their doors in 1994 or 95. I stopped working there in 93'

This post is a bit old, but I thought I'd answer.

They were and in some ways still are great machines. But technology marches on. I watched an 8 year old Studer S40 do some really wild things recently that 72 could never dream of doing.....controls have come a long way and have really altered the course of machine architecture.

But they were great machines.

Dave

Back