What's new
What's new

Heald Flat Belt Rotary Surface Grinder - Need Info

DBSGarage

Plastic
Hello all,

Last weekend I picked up a Heald rotary surface grinder that was originally line shaft/ flat belt driven. At this point I have been unable to find anything that would tell me what model it is. Each casting is a Wxx-x part number and everything seems to be with the machine and in working order including the original line shaft pump system for it minus the grinding wheel itself and I assume the tip that should automatically keep the wheel sharp/honed? If anyone has any information or catalogs they could provide for this machine it would be much appreciated.

I also got in the deal a small drill press That I haven't looked into much but thought I would share that photo as well.

20190922_102732.jpg
20190922_123321.jpg
20190922_121907.jpg

In case you hadn’t seen it the Heald in this thread may be newer than yours but un until more info. turns up maybe you will find something useful here.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...otary-surface-grinder-339432/?highlight=Heald
There are other results in the forum search I tried for Heald but this thread looked the most promising and I seem to remember seeing it before .
I didn’t check any of the others.
Jim

I'd guess the stack of gears on the side has to do with operating the ram's stroke. Healds were mechanical in those days.

See if it has TILT built in like the 25 Jim posted - great for shallow angles on such as thrust bearing races

If anyone has any information or catalogs

Twenties info on VM states there were #20 and #22, the 20 with 8" mag chuck and the 22 with 12" mag chuck

Last edited:
After further investigation on the VM website, I have found an ad from 1919 that seems to show my model exactly so it must have been made 1919 or before. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find anything else. And it seems that the 25 in the above thread is still vastly different. Next time i'm at the machine I'll check for tilt but nothing stood out the last time I looked it over.

I could be wrong but I think I can see the locking bolt in the slot that allows you to tilt the mag chuck/table in the casting low down at the front of the machine.

Regards Tyrone.

I got to looking at the machine this weekend and you are correct, the machine does have the tilt feature. I also managed to free up the two "clutches" that seems like they should engage the manual and power feed as well as the table rotation. For some reason though the machine still refuses to rotate the table or the grinding head. You can spin the drive pulley by hand, the spindle rotates freely, and the manual hand wheel rotates but with resistance.

I am thinking removing the grinding head is the next step, but if someone has any info on this machine before I tackle it. It would be nice to have a look at it.

On grinding head, for sure it has close fitted plain bearings - likely stuck now after long time sitting around

The one I worked on years ago had the common style of split tapered phosphor bronze bearing that you see on old lathes. You could adjust the running clearance up at the grinding wheel end. The problem with it was it was fully adjusted up with about 0.020" play in it. No chance of that being seized up. I replaced the original plain bearing set up with a pair of angular contact bearings at first before finally replacing those with " Timken " taper roller bearings. This particular machine was used for roughing out steel forged rings so having a perfect finish wasn't a massive issue. Having said that the finish was pretty good to be honest.

Regards Tyrone.

I got to looking at the machine this weekend and you are correct, the machine does have the tilt feature. I also managed to free up the two "clutches" that seems like they should engage the manual and power feed as well as the table rotation. For some reason though the machine still refuses to rotate the table or the grinding head. You can spin the drive pulley by hand, the spindle rotates freely, and the manual hand wheel rotates but with resistance.

I am thinking removing the grinding head is the next step, but if someone has any info on this machine before I tackle it. It would be nice to have a look at it.

I have one that looks just like it except mine has about a 5 Hp motor on the operator side.
you shouldn't move the feed wheel without running the spindle or the Spindle Belt may not want to slide on the wide flat spindle pulley and you can break a belt.Dogs in the long slot are for the stroke on the spindle.
One set of gears on the front for the stroke speed and one set for the spindle speed.
The gears on the back side are for the table speed.The feed clutch would always slip on mine ,so you would have to start it feeding by hand first and then it would start feeding.
I ran this one for about 15 years and replaced it with a 16" Blanchard, which is about 4 times faster removing stock.

PotGrinder.jpg

Back