What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Craigs list Lynchburg VA

Hudson

Plastic
Craig's list ID 6835937728, Lynchburg VA. Posted 3 days ago. A lot of tooling is listed, appears very clean.
Found it surfing Craig's list this AM. Have no first hand knowledge of the machine or the seller.

T W Hudson

He says it’s a lathe from a school...I guess they generally don’t see the use of a shop or production lathe but abuse is another story. I remember back in my high school shop days, there were those who used and appreciated the shop machines and those that seem to abuse them to the point of total ridiculousness. It didn’t matter what it was either... I specifically remember a kid pouring handfuls of glass bead from the blasting cabinet in to the radiator of a Diesel engine in the Ag shop... I asked him why he did it and he said I don’t know and laughed... Ironically with the way things have gone, these nice school shop machines with little wear will soon dry up as the shop classes in schools have done.

Appears to be obscenely overpriced to me.

I just picked up a Logan 11" also from '68 with flame hardened bed. It's similarly equipped and also a high school machine. Other than some dings on the ways and leaking grease from the bearings, it doesn't seem to have any wear. Paid $1800. This things seems to be priced about double what I think he can expect to get for it. That's almost 10EE pricing.

Nothing overpriced about this machine at all.

Not even parting the actual machine out, just pricing a decent machine and buying all that tooling, it would cost that much.

I never understood why someone buying a lathe (or other machine), and spending years buying all the tooling for it, should suddenly need to “include” all that extra tooling when selling the machine. For some reason some people think the owner should sell the machine AND ALL the tooling for the price of just the machine.

This lathe has gobs of tooling, attachments, accessories... all of that on a machine that looks pretty sweet mechanically, just needing a little paint (if you care about that).

One could say you might not want to spend that on. SB or that machine, but that is another conversation.

Bernie

Appears to be obscenely overpriced to me.

Kinda like the LeBlond 15" trainer I have.. I have had two with consecutive serial numbers. I paid 350 for one and 400 for the other..Both machines were within probably 75 mi radius ... Funny they want anywhere from 1500 to 2500 for the same machines in different states..Well guess I will hang on to mine for a bit longer.. No telling how much it will be worth.. Ramsay 1:)

This lathe has gobs of tooling, attachments, accessories...
Bernie

+1

He'll get more money if he parts out the accessories. Toolpost, toolholders, telescoping steady and follower, collets, collet tube, Jacobs
rubberflex setup, three jaw chuck, ,metric transpose gears, collet rack, micrometer stop. Also this is a long bed machine, flame hard ways
and dual tumbler QC box.

Then sell off the machine with just that one four jaw chuck.

This was dave sobel's business model. Base model for X dollars, extras were, well, extra.

He'll get more money if he parts out the accessories

Lathes do seem to be one of the few things worth more parted out than whole.

One could say you might not want to spend that on. SB or that machine, but that is another conversation.

For me there's a psychological break point at around $2000. For > $2000 I'd want a more serious lathe. Under $2000 for a home use/hobby lathe. This lathe is only worth what someone offers. It doesn't much matter what we think it's worth.

I paid 1800 for a short bed 10L like this abut 25 years ago. Short bed, no taper attachment.

So 2.5K for this machine bare is pretty reasonable. Plus, it's a long bed, taper attachment. The accessories are
probably at least 1K, so he's not that far off with 3.9K

Accessories, at *least* 1K. One would have to price them out.

I paid 1800 for a short bed 10L like this abut 25 years ago. Short bed, no taper attachment.

Around here Southbends aren't pulling that kind of coin. There was a nice 10EE up on Frederick MD for $4500 a couple months ago. Not as many accessories but a step up in machine class.

This reminds me a bit of people who modify their cars and expect to get what they put in, back out on a sale. Something like this, you simply run into a perceived value wall. People are simply not willing to spend most of $4K for something like this no matter how nice or well equipped it is. In the case of modded cars, people do what has been suggested here, part out the good parts and sell the base for the going rate.

I'm curious what it ends up selling for.

Well done. Clearly this guy ^^^ didn't know what he was talking about.

You don't really know what something is worth till you hand over the cash. I wouldn't spend $3900 for this lathe but obviously someone did. It's like cars. They're worth what people are paying. Many times it makes no sense to most people. Why does a low miles third gen Supra sell for $135k? It makes no sense to me but someone must want it.

Back