What's new
What's new

Hello help to identify

Roadtoad

Plastic
I am trying to identify this lathe and was told it was a SouthbendIMG_20190703_151014583.jpg the research I have done and also a person on SB forum agreed it was not one. I recently seen video on you tube of a Prentice and the belt guide nubes in the head casting looked similar to mine. Another unique thing is round disc knobs one is used to engage apron to travel the other engages the thread bar.IMG_20190703_150959261.jpg the third round knob changes head rotation .thank you for any help. God bless.IMG_20190703_151007400.jpg

Wow! First thing I noticed is how heavily modified this lathe is. The entire countershaft assembly is supported by a fabricated frame of welded up square stock.

But the really interesting thing is the spindle bearings. Those bearing caps are not original, so I'm wondering why that is. Could the original caps have been lost? Or, were the original (most likely bronze alloy) bearings replaced with some setup to allow higher spindle speed?

Also, there's no gear on the rear end of the spindle to drive intermediate gears for feed. Is it driven by a gear between the bearings that's not visible in the pics?? If so, that'd be a big clue in identifying the maker.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I thought I would add some more pictures of the tail and also it has a 9" 3jaw have not found name yet and a 13" diameter Skinner Chuck #112 4jaw and also 14" mounting head or plate not sure of it's name.IMG_20190705_144140123.jpg

It is an early Pratt & Whitney as John said.
The style of legs and the knobs on the head stock and apron.
The bearing caps look original.

Rob

Attachments

• P&W 1_LI.jpg
    P&W 1_LI.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 64
  • P&W lathe 34_LI.jpg
    P&W lathe 34_LI.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 76
I thought I would add some more pictures of the tail and also it has a 9" 3jaw have not found name yet and a 13" diameter Skinner Chuck #112 4jaw and also 14" mounting head or plate not sure of it's name.View attachment 260395

Roadtoad posted the tail stock picture while I was typing my response in post #6.
That is an early Pratt & Whitney tail stock.

The makers tag would look like one of these.
It could be the earlier Pratt, Whitney & Co. one.

Rob

Attachments

• P&W tag 5.jpg
    P&W tag 5.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 37
  • P&W tag 4.jpg
    P&W tag 4.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 44
I think that is it! Was the picture of the lathe give a date?. You guys are great thank you for the help. I am assembling to see if it will run. I have a 3hp 3ph new motor that has been in my shop sitting for years. Now may find a home on it.

The Skinner Chuck company was in same town as where this may have been made. I agree according to book very early lathe. I keep finding pieces in the box that goes back on it. I think I am missing the tool holder have several end gears to change apron speed. I will make a motor mount they had tabs on the tubing they made to hold jack shaft.

Wow Rob, you nailed it. I figured that knob on the headstock would be a unique identifier. I didn't even see the similar knob under the apron, good eye.

Steve.

I knew as soon as I saw the knob that it was P&W.
The very early lathes had the knob. The later lathes, although still early, had the lever.

Rob

Attachments

• P&W lathe 3.jpg
    P&W lathe 3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 48

Back