What's new
What's new

Help - 1st time here; 1st time Lathe??? Info request

TySym1

Plastic
Hello All

So, I think I can go load up my very first lathe tomorrow if things go well!
Problem is just that though; I've never owned one. So far I've done Hours of reading, especially starting a few years back when I first got interested in the idea that I just couldn't shake. Also grew up around manufacturing in a small-medium business setting, so that helps(or might be the problem :scratchchin: ha)

Anyhow,
the Lathe is a LeBlond.
Claims simply "8x20" which I couldn't find anything matching so I am REALLY hoping someone here could help me gain some info on this machine.

It Looks like something I can actually grow Into, rather than be stuck on something from limitations and have to upgrade. Very comfortable with it being too big of a first bite if that's the case, also.
Real dead set on this working iron; it's been a long time commin'.

I will try to figure out how to post the VERY limited pictures I have.

Would Love to finally get into the hobby!

A lathe is typically sized by the maximum diameter of work that can be turned without hitting the bed from the head stock spindle. The second number refers to the maximum length between centers. I have no idea what size your lathe is other than that it is not 8x20. Your second photo looks more like 16 to 20 x 40 to 50 in inches. LeBlond lathes are very well supported by LeBlond, but you are going to have to do much better with info and serial number to receive any meaningful help both here and by LeBlond.

In the U.S. lathes are sized by swing diameter, over the pond they say it in swing radius (with a funny accent). That does look more like 16".

The Grey one.....

Heavy duty manufacturing - no lead screw for cutting threads

The most lathe for the least money to do a very specific thing - like turning the same shaft day in, day out, year in, year out - maybe run by a gal all that time.

Sometimes referred to as Automotive

No compound rest for handy dandy angles

Air cylinder for working tail stock

Often with a minimum of spindle speeds - thumbnail has but six, while the engine lathe might have 12 or 18 (I see the cream colored job is a six speed)

Here is one from 1937 - less the air cylinder

Attachments

• LB Mfg 1937.jpg
    LB Mfg 1937.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
If it’s not too late... that’s not the lathe you probably want. (At least for typical lathe use)

You need a compound to cut any small tapers.

Lack of threading will be a problem unless you want to use dies for everything.

A normal tailstock for drilling

Unless you just need to make spacers or unthreaded shafts, I would keep looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A very good lesson here..If you don't know much about lathes/machines then find a neighbor or someone who knows and ask a few questions..that is a very excellent machine in good condition but is made for a special purpose..and so is not for making various part designs in the normal way..

Simply reading How to Run A Lathe would have given enough knowledge to suspect this lathe does not have normal features.

You might tool it up to make dozer pins and so pay for the lathe..

I one time got a deal on 4 of those lathes, good lathe but can't do much. I did have 8 other lathes at the time, sold 3 of those production LeBlonds and kept one. No lead screw but at least the ones I had were screw feed tail stocks that accepted taper shanks and not air. The air one might only have a center so tapered shank tool will not work.
As a new user I would stay away from it. If you keep your eyes open a good top brand flat belt lathe is best for new uses and I suspect that's why most school schools had South Bend flat belt lathes. Gears are unforgiving, a mistake can be disastrous. At least flat belt will slip, the disaster is not as great but any crash is not good! Even a flat belt lathe in back gear is very powerful. Lot of nice Yoke Head Hendeys out there.

I guess another good thing is to ask a lot of questions. if you had told the seller you wished to do gun work, hobby work, or one ups or this was your first lathe and he sold you suck a lathe ..I would consider him a dirty bugger.

But we should not assume anything ..perhaps that machine does suit your needs,

Wow you guys are quick. This is great.

Yes that was what I was getting at what I mention 8x20..I had learned what it was referring to and couldn't help but to think this ones claim was incorrect.

Also,
Unfortunately i do not have a friend or insightful neighbor on this subject...you guys ARE my neighbors to ask questions.

I do realllyy want something I can do lots of threading on, even though I have over 100 quality taps/dies; but while important to me, I would say that comes secondary.

So just to clear up, the tan/yellow is the one i have a chance to get.

Grey is just the closest example I could find.

BUT I do have two more pictures..nothing helping us see name plates and numbers though..

QT: [You guys ARE my neighbors to ask question.] Yes on that even though I am not the lathe guy...
Be up front and ask a lot of questions of the seller.
Best to buy a lathe from the user of the machine so he might know some answers..and a machine under power...
"Is there any thing wrong with this machine?" a goo question
Will it do this and that?
Think about the accessories you may need,

00000_guuKgs6idOB_600x450.jpg

00j0j_j701cHumGka_600x450.jpg

00G0G_99eH1MguNwC_600x450.jpg

Here are the two only other pictures and the first. These 3 are everything.
If there is anybody that wants me to maybe crop an area or brighten anything up, just let me know and I'll see what I can do. If not, great ha.

So,
A couple quick questions..

This lathe is Sure to not have threading capabilities?

What would you say it's truely worth? Any estimations with help if they are at least based on something. I think it has a 6 jaw chuck, which i would enjoy having.

And do most lathes have a chuck/(drive spindle?) through-hole? Where long stock can be fed all the way through and stick out the back(left side of control panel) while mounted in the chuck.

Thanks guys

Many big older lathes not under power are not worth the cost of moving if free....
Define what you intend to do and the lathes guy will give you the best advice...

Very often a 9 to 16" x 36" or longer is a good first..
Logan, south bend rivett, sheldon and many good names out thee but condition, and filling you needs is important.

Froneck said a belt drive is safer ..that is true.

Well the problem with asking questions, is it is a woman that sells other things and just happens to have this. ..needless to say the most important question i got was "it does run and work)

I would love to do gun work, definitely on my list; but wouldn't be a whole lot of it.

As of current and past, Ive severely needed a lathe for various part making, Across the board.

looks like you are not listening to what guys are saying so do take plenty of time thinking before shelling out your cash....

perhaps search what lathe to buy and read a lot of PM posts.

Like I said it my initial post.. this has been a very long time comming. I've looked for specific lathes that I've researched in the past; I've even found quite a few, but they are way way out of my price range.
I am balancing between a lathe that can do everything I need it to, yet still be in 3 digit price range. That's hard to find.
This is why I am here asking what it is worth since it runs, if it for sure can not thread, etc.

I've been trying to find a lathe I can settle on that is large, with many capabilities, but maybe in bad-but-working shape,
for roughly 4 years now.

Back