UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help disassembling compound on Leblond Regal 15"

Hey guys -

Trying to clean up this Leblond I just got. I removed and fully disassembled the compound. However I can't get the top of the compound off the base because the nut is obviously still in there and won't let it slide off.

I get that the ways are tapered and there should theoretically be a way to slide it off at an angle, but I can't figure it out.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know if it applies to your lathe and if, by any chance, you have already done so. However, in order to disassemble the compound of several lathes you need to remove the gib first, so that you can lift the top over the nut.

Paolo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are some LeBlond publications on Vintage Machinery .
    R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org
    If your Regal is similar to this one that is similar to the one in my manual 17
    R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Running a Regal - Manual No. 18 | VintageMachinery.org
    You have to take out setscrew #436 shown on Page 49 & 50 of the pdf http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2102/25822.pdf
    The nut may not drop out so you may have pry it out with a rod through the nut once the screw is removed or take out the oiler #439 and drive it out with a soft punch.
    if that doesn't work you could maybe drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the nut and extract it with a bolt with a larger bushing to pull against it from the underside or use some other type of puller.
    The setscrew point may have swaged up the nut a bit preventing it from sliding right out.
    Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Follow up:

Got it out. Had to pry out out the bottom, then it slide right off.

Will tackle the cross slide tomorrow - likely will need to replace the leadscrew there...

5. Likes Jim Christie liked this post