What's new
What's new

Help finding a serial number

waverunner196

Plastic
I was hoping someone could guide me as to where to find a serial number on a Milwaukee vertical mill?
The outside cast plaque has Kearney & Trecker No. 1 A on it. The only other badge I see is a patent plate on it. The first patent is Oct 23 1906 and the last is April 3 1926.

I'd like to research some information on it to post somewhere to sell it. I just have no clear info to give on it.

Thanks for any help,
Rich

In addition to the face of the column look on the front of the knee. Many makers used that location for the SN. Very well could be painted over also...

General hints on locating serial numbers. Stamped into a machined surface, on a permanent part, like the main casting, not on something like a removable cowling. Often on the right side. On a lathe, most often on the right end of the bed. On a mill on the body dovetail or on the top of the knee. Sometimes only on the nameplate. Sometimes there are multiple numbers. Ie main body and head like on a BP mill.
I have found a putty knife is handy to scrape off paint and gunk. If it is worn down you can sometimes recover the number by polishing the area and rubbing marker or graphite into the iron. A strong led flashlight helps

Back