What's new
What's new

help to ID. an old lathe part

can someone tell me what lathe this holder came from or any info, heavy duty, 1/2 inch square hole for bit, shaft is 1-7/16 inch Dia. and 15 inches long

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 135
Very nice (stiff) arrangement. Of value to someone who has the right size T-slot on their cross slide.

T-slots have been standardized since about the 1890s. Possibly from before as most modern standards build upon a previously commonly used design. ASA B5.1-1949 is shown in most versions of "Machinery's Handbook."

Below a page from an online readable Machinery's Handbook. This page at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...handbook.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2m7mpCyVCr8L9I-8CAtgD-

There is a page after this which shows the sizing of the "T"to fit the slot, but the sizes are similar minus some "freedom of motion" to allow the T to fit the slot by hand.

Joe in NH

Attachments

• T slot.jpg
    T slot.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 34
Probably something most can use. Dimensions will help! I'm sure most can make the T nut to fit their lathe, height to centerline of bar is important though as with the T nut a shim can be made. Those with the lantern type tool post will probably be interested. Even those with Aloris type that don't have the boring bar holders can use it. I'm sure you will find interest for it!

Back