What's new
What's new

Help with Identification of this vise

bradb65

Plastic
Can anyone help with me identify this bench vise. It has a oval body that the back jaw moves to the rear instead of the front. Weighs in at 82lbs. The only identification is on the right side and looks like the letter U with two upside down letter P's inside. And Don't see China stamped anywhere on it. Any info on make and model would be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1050276.jpg
    P1050276.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,597
  • P1050277.jpg
    P1050277.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,443
  • P1050278.jpg
    P1050278.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 745
  • P1050286.jpg
    P1050286.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 500
  • P1050287.jpg
    P1050287.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 942
Interesting design. I would bet it's super rigid. Kind of like the difference between the old Bridgeport round ram and the dovetail design.
In the case of a vice, the conventional moving front jaw and round or square cast ram would be cheaper to manufacture.
Nice find.

I'm pretty sure these are a European design- I think there was a thread on them here a few years ago. It's a vague memory, so don't hold me to it.

Andy

Stefan Gotteswinter has a series of videos on You Tube. He uses that style vise. Maybe you can contact him and find out. I have looked at a number of on line catalogs from European vendors. Your vise looks like it is a pretty common style in Europe.

The mark is FPU, a Polish company that uses the Bison brand name now. The vise is said to have been invented by Leinen in Germany, but other companies have used the design. Watchmakers like the 1.5 or 2 inch jaw version, and I have seen the little ones marked G. Boley (Germany) and Marshall (USA).

Larry

I have one of those and also researched it to polish origins. Didn't look further but suspected it to be Bison due to the paint color. The front jaw is stationary , back jaw moves.

Here's mine, 4" jaws. NOS out of Canada. I painted it with car trunk spray, and when that hardened sprayed clear polyurethane over that;
IMG_2017.jpg

A follow up note, I've seen quite a few of these with the right front outside dovetail broken out where yours is. Too many! I take from it that there is a weakness in the design that FPU has never corrected. Sad.

i have one of these myself. Picked it up at a flea market here in Belgium and I really like the "back jaw moves" design. I don't have any photos of it to show just now .. i can take some when i go to the shop later today. Mine is a bit smaller than the one you are posting

Back