What's new
What's new

Help Identify Buffalo Forge Drill Press

thejbman

Plastic
Hey folks,

I picked up a few tools from a gentleman, and I was hoping to learn a bit more about this drill press in particular. It's pretty darn tall, maybe 6.5'. I paid a bit more than I'd have liked to, but it's beefier than my small bench drill press. It had a broken pin on the right side where the small lever is; I drove in a new one, and I see a place on the base for what I suspect is a foot pedal mount. I'd appreciate any information you all may have. Hopefully these photos come out OK. I'm not used to this attachment utility. Thanks!

20190710_190801.jpg20190710_190741.jpg20190710_190807.jpg20190710_190817.jpg20190710_190831.jpg

That "28" tag is an inventory number from a previous owner. The spot below it was a dealer tag, they're often quite decorative and get removed.

It doesn't really have much identity beyond Buffalo Drill Press. Do you have a specific question about the machine?

I suppose I really wanted to know if it was worth keeping and running (and how to do that). My brother expressed interest in the unit, so I want to see if I'm willing to let it go. I just have a small bench-top unit from Lowes, and I appreciated how heavy duty this one is, not to mention the fact that it will save bench space. It seems more capable, but I wanted more information to back that up. Maintenance info and the like, as well. I'm sure I can find more of that now that I at least know what it is, haha.

Whether it's worth keeping is a very subjective question. Depends what sort of work you do and your love of crusty old stuff.

You'll want to look at the motor speed and pulley sizes to see if the machine is appropriate for the work you want to do. I suspect this machine jus big and slow sms best used in addition to your bench top drill, not instead of it.

That hand wheel on the upper left looks intriguing, possibly a power feed for the drill or some kind of variable speed for the motor.

Subjective indeed. The hand wheel is for tensioning the belt. If you loosen a cast nut sort of thing on the left side, it will allow you to move the motor in and out on a rail, and that hand wheel actually moves it out.

I see what you mean about the tools really just being different. That makes sense. I'll keep both :)

I thought that was a little odd, myself. I saw in other pictures that there were 3 pulleys on each side.

Back