What's new
What's new

help identify jewelry making machines

gregoryd

Hot Rolled
Came across these in an auction and they are listed as "Engine turning lathes" - which are not like anything I've seen before. Anybody know what they are called or have more information or ideas about it?

Capture2.JPGCapture 1.JPG

There straight line engines. They would be used to do engine turning on a flat surface such as a tie bar or cigarette lighter.

Good spotting sip. We know what “engine turning” is, but perhaps the OP or others might not. “engine turning” Is a decorative finish produced by overlapping circles of fine abrasive polishing, typically from as small as 3/32 dia. on a watch movement, to 1/4 on a lighter, up to 3/4” on a safe door inner mechanism. It somewhat resembles fish scales. do an image search on it. A very classic 1880-1930 look.

(upon review, the finish I described is just one of a myriad of engine turned finishes, but it was the one that came to mind. the "straight line" machines obviously do an entirely different thing. I just learned a lot, haha!)

Last edited:
Very cool! At first I thought it was a geisha pattern machine. I’d love one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all - now I can see it - and helps me determine if I need something that I did not know even existed before. There is also a Brocading machine there as well. All some old school methods long before CNC.

Gold International Machinery in Pawtucket, RI has the USA market pretty much cornered on ornamental lathes and straight line engines. They may well be the high bidder at that auction, unless they are the owners.

Engine and Ornamental Turning Machines << Gold International Machinery | The One Stop Shop for all of your Machinery, Equipment, Tool & Die Needs

These machines cut decorative patterns in gold and silver with sharp tools, no abrasive used. The result is sort of like cut knurling, but with many possible flourishes and variations.

Larry

There is now a video of the machines online now: Tour of Engine Turning Lathes going to auction at AB Group Attleboro MA - YouTube

Very interesting to see. They are not being sold by Gold Machinery, but I agree that they will probably end up with them since they are in the same state. I often drool over some of the antiques that Gold has in their online stores - better than many museums.

Bid, you might get lucky.
Gold Machine will probably bid unless they have determined that they don't have a market for them or they are too worn. Dealers do need to make a profit.

I dont know if Gold bid, but several people I know bought machines from this auction, and, from what I understand, the prices were very low.

I got one of the straight line machines and I did pay less than I thought I would have to. That is mostly based off of Gold's prices, though, which are very high. They all needed some TLC to get running, mine will need parts made, but I'm not complaining. It was amazing to see them all there together, I spent quite a bit of time during the preview taking pictures and just soaking it up. How often do you get to see 15 or so machines like that all at once?

There is a clock and automon repair shop in Seattle owned by a female that has engine lathe turning classes. I will w9rk on getting that exact for you

You would be wrong :)...the precision of this old tech is beyond what even a Kern can do

I wonder if this is really true.
The Indians are the main drivers these day in jewelry making machines, as they make around 40% of the world's gold jewelry these days, and most of it is for domestic consumption.
So we dont even see the machines, or the work made on them, in the USA.

I have a chunky Indian gold ring I bought probably 20 years ago in Malaysia, that has what I am pretty sure is CNC facetting on it, and the accuracy is quite good.

Companies like this make modern CNC jewlery machines in India for the Indian market- ball faceters, chain makers, and much more.

Cnc Bangle Machine Manufacturer,Cnc Bangle Machine Exporter & Supplier in Jamnagar India

check out this video of a machine that engraves bangle bracelets- https://youtu.be/fZDT651gZiA

looks like the Turks make machines like this too, which makes sense- the turks make machines to do anything. https://youtu.be/Gv9_3xWp4V0

I wonder if this is really true.
The Indians are the main drivers these day in jewelry making machines, as they make around 40% of the world's gold jewelry these days, and most of it is for domestic consumption.
So we dont even see the machines, or the work made on them, in the USA.

I have a chunky Indian gold ring I bought probably 20 years ago in Malaysia, that has what I am pretty sure is CNC facetting on it, and the accuracy is quite good.

Companies like this make modern CNC jewlery machines in India for the Indian market- ball faceters, chain makers, and much more.

Cnc Bangle Machine Manufacturer,Cnc Bangle Machine Exporter & Supplier in Jamnagar India

check out this video of a machine that engraves bangle bracelets- https://youtu.be/fZDT651gZiA

looks like the Turks make machines like this too, which makes sense- the turks make machines to do anything. https://youtu.be/Gv9_3xWp4V0

A straight line or rose late is a single point cutter that follows an analog path, while a CNC with a rotary engraver is a very different beast. I am not sure that the quality and precision of the actual cut is comparable under close scrutiny. Kern claims 1 micron accuracy and repeatability but you still have a rotating cutter that will cut very differently. You do work on a miniature scale, in your world, you can definitely tell the difference between approximation and dead-on :). I guess if you get to sub-micron resolution that distinction disappears.

Back