What's new
What's new

Help to identify lathe possible BSA / BURTON GRIFFITHS?

Pg123

Plastic
I’m looking for some help please to identify
The lathe below

Various brass plate’s one says BSA 6”x20”

Another says “built exclusively for BSA TOOLS LTD BIRMINGHAM” ?

View attachment 244157
5849C5E1-FE7F-441E-8250-85BB7A3E74DA.jpg
5849C5E1-FE7F-441E-8250-85BB7A3E74DA.jpg

any help / advice would be much appreciated thanks Pete

I would think it was a specialized shell turning lathe,or a second operation lathe for a certain component.If you own the machine,then you will have details of spindle speed ,and feeds etc...Burton ,Griffith &Co was a subsidiary of BSA,and a machine tool factor(agent).

I would think it was a specialized shell turning lathe,or a second operation lathe for a certain component.If you own the machine,then you will have details of spindle speed ,and feeds etc...Burton ,Griffith &Co was a subsidiary of BSA,and a machine tool factor(agent).

Hi john,

That’s greatly appreciated, yes I own the lathe but this is my first.. I’m not a machinist, I just bought it to turn a few pins for tractors and the like, in truth I know very little about Lathe’s, hence I was trying to identify the machine so I could hopefully locate a manual? Re speeds and feeds I’ve no idea any idea where I should look?

Thanks Pete

There will be no manual,as the machine would have been in a factory with experienced men....there would also likely not be a specific parts list,rather several general arrangement drawings with part numbers called out.....AS to the speeds and feeds,that is something for you to work out.If there is a usable chuck on the machine,then likely you will be able to turn pins.....Its probably lucky you didnt buy a BSA Acme Gridley multi spindle automatic.That would be tricky for a beginner to figure out.

There will be no manual,as the machine would have been in a factory with experienced men....there would also likely not be a specific parts list,rather several general arrangement drawings with part numbers called out.....AS to the speeds and feeds,that is something for you to work out.If there is a usable chuck on the machine,then likely you will be able to turn pins.....Its probably lucky you didnt buy a BSA Acme Gridley multi spindle automatic.That would be tricky for a beginner to figure out.

Thanks John,

I see that makes a lot more sense as I can’t find anything anywhere about it..

Ok I’ll have a play around and see how I get on.. thanks again

Back