What's new
What's new

Help identify an old drill press

steinmann

Plastic
Hello again.
Further to my first thread (Help identify an old drill press), searching for any clue about the brand of this drill, I found some time and stripped the paint of the engine plate with a heat gun and some WD40 with scotchbrite. I looked again and still could not find an i.d. plate on the machine. Strange. Could not find where it was held either (but maybe the ridiculous paint job filled the holes of the rivets). Anyways, the plate on the engine states it is a British made brand.
1. Any clue of the maker or the brand will be much appreciated.
2. Where are spares available?
3. My finger is pointing on this plate, why is it there for?
4. Are there some drawings or exploded views available? Online maybe?
5. The control box is AFAIK non – original. It is controlling left drive, right drive and off, of course. Is it possible to source the original one? And if not, can I buy a vintage like or a matching one that will dress her right?
6. How can I know the manufacturing date?
Thank you all in advance,
Michael

Attachments

• 20190422_162245_resized.jpg
    20190422_162245_resized.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20190422_162249_resized.jpg
    20190422_162249_resized.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 20190422_162253_resized.jpg
    20190422_162253_resized.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 20190422_162604_resized.jpg
    20190422_162604_resized.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 20190422_165433_resized.jpg
    20190422_165433_resized.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 204
In general, the drill looks like a circa 1930-50 item that was cheap when new, suited to a small light industrial or home workshop. It is rather unusual for a drill to be fitted with a reversing switch.

As for identity, your best bet is to search through the "Drilling machines" section of Tony's website. I suggest you start with the brands that do not list a country name after them, because they are the British brands. Not to say the drill has to be British, because any motor could be mounted to such a machine.

Machine Tool Archive

Larry

That flat plate your pointing at may have had a tag showing the pully speeds and brand name of the drill press. I hate tag thief's.

Look above the square space you are pointing at in the 4th picture. Is it just me or does that look like a painted-over tag?

My guess is that the area you are pointing to was the original motor switch location. Those holes look bigger than what you'd expect for tag rivets, and I'd think they would be on the corners if it was a square tag.

looks like a Clown brand, might want to contact Big Top Distributing, or maybe "Carny Carny and Sideshow" for parts. takes popcorn machine oil exclusively. cotton candy was a desirable accessory.:D

Thanks for all the replies.
I searched Tony's website and could not find her (The closest is the Elliott Progress brand).
The plate I’m pointing at is after paint strip, there was nothing there.
I am still in the darkness of the mystery machine…

Thanks for all the replies.
I searched Tony's website and could not find her (The closest is the Elliott Progress brand).
The plate I’m pointing at is after paint strip, there was nothing there.
I am still in the darkness of the mystery machine…

Untitled 2.jpg
Check this spot (red box).

Shalom from the Catskill region of NY State. No disrespect to you or your drill press, but what you have is- as was already posted here- a low end drill press that was an inexpensive model. As such, it may have been manufactured without the maker's name permanently a part of it. Some well known manufacturers had made their name as raised lettering on the head casting, and others riveted a metal nameplate to the head casting of the drill. Other manufacturers applied their name in the form of a "decal" or printed label which was laid on the finish-painted surface of the head casting. A cheaper "low end" drill such as yours may well have been built by one manufacturer with no name permanently on it. This was done so the drill could be "badged" with the seller's name. Tool merchants, large stores (such as Sears, Roebuck in the USA) and mail order firms often did this, putting their own name on tools or machinery made by someone else.

My own advice on this is to clean the drill up, get rid of the paint on the machined surfaces such as the column, and put it to work. Establishing who made the drill and where will serve no useful purpose at this point in time. Any maker who made a drill such as this one is likely long out of business. With the influx of cheap drill presses from Asia, most- if not all- of the makers of low end drill presses of this sort in the USA, England, and probably Europe are out of business.

The history of the drill press is another matter. I know a bit about the history of Israel, and do know that to prepare for the 1948 War of Independence, machine tools of many types were imported into Israel. Used machine tools were bought in NY City, and probably elsewhere in the USA and shipped to Israel. I also know that Israel, having been under British rule prior to 1948, had a lot of British made equipment left from that time period. How the drill press came to Israel is anyone's guess at this time. It could have been made anywhere, and been fitted with the British made electric motor.

Checking the screw threads on the fasteners and threaded parts of the drill press will give a clue as to place of origin. If metric threads, given the era of the drill press, could be a European machine. If British threads, (Whitworth, 55 degree included angle of the threads, and pitches in threads/inch for given diameters that will not match either the US standard threads or the metric pitches) then the machine came from England. Obviously, if the threads line up with US diameters/pitches/thread form (60 degree), then a US machine. My guess is the machine is English, and the maker's name was on it in the form of a "decal". As a result, with coats of paint applied over it, the name has been lost. I doubt that careful stripping of the paint will turn up a maker's name, but it's worth a try. Using chemical paint removers will likely take all the paint and the decal or label with it. Possibly, sanding with fine wet/dry auto body sandpaper going very lightly, you might work through a few layers of paint and find the original paint and some remains of the decal or label.

My own belief with machine tools is to clean them up, make any needed repairs and adjustments, and get them into use. As I like to say, "I am not running a museum", and my machine tools, while well kept, have worn/missing paint and are ready for use when I need to do jobs on them. As I wrote, knowing something of the history of Israel, and having visited the ammunition factory on the preserved Kibbutz, I saw "old friends" in the underground factory. Familiar US made machine tools that were old and used by 1948 were in the factory for making/repairing production tooling. With a history such as Israel has had, I can understand your wanting to learn as much as you can about your drill press. Maybe it was used to prepare for the War of 1948, or maybe it sat is some Kibbutz's shop doing nothing more than maintenance and repair work on farm equipment. I think the history of the drill as to how it came to Israel and what is was first used for would be of more interest to me than who actually made the drill, but that's just me. Good luck with your project !

I appreciate your response and the time you have taken.
I also think that the machine should work, and like you, I do not want a museum at home.
You helped me a lot. Thank you and a beautiful day!

Back